Segment fault is met when building android 4.0.4

johnny

Apr 13, 2012, 7:34:08 AM4/13/12
to Android Building
Hi,

When we're trying to use make -j 16 to build 4.0.4, from time to time,
we would see "Segment fault" happen in make. We're using UBuntu 10.04,
16GB DDR, 30GB Swap partition. Currently we found that if we change
the stack size to 2GB, it is not easy to happen. But if we change the
stack size to 8MB, it has 25% chance to happen.

Anyone here met similar issue?

regards,
Johnny

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Apr 13, 2012, 10:41:30 AM4/13/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
There've been sporadic reports of issues, but none that pinpointed any
specific direction, so this is an interesting data point. We have
similar issues at Google, but with a lower incidence rate, and only on
MacOS.

I'd like to hear more about which specific kind of error you were
getting, and what you specifically changed to fix it.

JBQ

> --

Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru

warning.

johnny

Apr 25, 2012, 12:00:12 AM4/25/12
to Android Building
JB,

Per our investigation, the crash happens at line 430.

eval_buffer@read.c:
int
eval_buffer (char *buffer)
{
ebuf.floc = *reading_file; — line 430

Currently we used a patch from REDHAT, which seems can work around
this issue.
http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/download.php?file_id=16687

I mean workaround, because we don't understand the root cause.
However, based on our test, we run the build 20 times. The segment
fault doesn't happen again. Without this patch, we can catch the
segment 1 out of 5.

Regards,
Johnny

On Apr 13, 10:41 pm, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
> There've been sporadic reports of issues, but none that pinpointed any
> specific direction, so this is an interesting data point. We have
> similar issues at Google, but with a lower incidence rate, and only on
> MacOS.
>
> I'd like to hear more about which specific kind of error you were
> getting, and what you specifically changed to fix it.
>
> JBQ
>

> On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 4:34 AM, johnny <johnny...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> > When we're trying to use make -j 16 to build 4.0.4, from time to time,
> > we would see "Segmentfault" happen in make. We're using UBuntu 10.04,

Ying Wang

Apr 25, 2012, 1:22:06 PM4/25/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
What version of make do you use?
I just examined the latest gmake 3.82 source code and that bug fix is already in.

johnny

May 8, 2012, 9:41:31 PM5/8/12
to Android Building
We're using 3.81 which is the default installation of Ubuntu 11.04

On Apr 26, 1:22 am, Ying Wang <wangy...@android.com> wrote:
> What version of make do you use?
> I just examined the latest gmake 3.82 source code and that bug fix is
> already in.
>

> On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 9:00 PM, johnny <johnny...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > JB,
>
> > Per our investigation, the crash happens at line 430.
>
> > eval_buf...@read.c:

johnny

May 9, 2012, 2:54:38 AM5/9/12
to Android Building
Android's main.mk enforces to use 3.81. I saw this in ICS. Is it
changed now?

Regards,
Johnny

On Apr 26, 1:22 am, Ying Wang <wangy...@android.com> wrote:
> What version of make do you use?
> I just examined the latest gmake 3.82 source code and that bug fix is
> already in.
>

> On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 9:00 PM, johnny <johnny...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > JB,
>
> > Per our investigation, the crash happens at line 430.
>
> > eval_buf...@read.c:

Ying Wang

May 9, 2012, 12:24:07 PM5/9/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com