building cts/vts

Yeong Jian

Nov 17, 2021, 3:27:18 AM11/17/21
to Android Building
Hello,

If I have a specialized/modified android build that is based off google AOSP source code (let's called it build-A).

When I want to run CTS to test on my build-A, can I use the prebuilt binaries from Compatibility Test Suite Downloads  |  Android Open Source Project or do I have to build the CTS from scratch by specifying the BUILD-BUILD_TYPE for the lunch command? From what I assumed, the prebuilt CTS binaries seem to be using aosp_arm64 as the BUILD (from CTS Development  |  Android Open Source Project)

For building VTS, do I also require my own build when building VTS during the lunch command, so that the VTS packages are built to suit the android build that I have (build-A).
How does this lunch command works, once I selected my BUILD-BUILD_TYPE, does it affect the CTS/VTS packages that would be built? Are they interconnected?

Would greatly appreciate a clear explanation regarding building cts/vts and the lunch command. Thank you.

Best regards,
Yeongjian

Dan Willemsen

Nov 17, 2021, 4:02:57 AM11/17/21
to Android Building
Generally, use the prebuilts -- you want to make sure that you're actually compatible with the same tests everyone else is running.

The major exception is if you're developing a change to CTS/VTS itself (to upstream into AOSP), then you'll want to build it to test your change. In that case, you should build CTS/VTS separately from your device, though many individual tests may build & work with your device-specific build settings, that's not guaranteed. You'll likely want to be testing patches on an AOSP checkout that doesn't have your custom device configs anyways. The CTS/VTS build does use `lunch aosp_arm64`/etc, as the generically built test apps are expected to be compatible with any device with the same general architecture (arm vs x86 -- if the build system supported it, we'd have a single CTS/VTS build including all architectures).

- Dan

Yeong Jian

Nov 29, 2021, 10:49:22 PM11/29/21
to Android Building
Hello Dan,

Thank you so much for clarifying. What about the build type? (eng, user and user debug). What do these options refer to, the build type of my android device? or the build type of the test suite (CTS/VTS)? Sorry I am new to android things.
Thanks.

Regards,
Yeongjian

Dan Willemsen

Nov 29, 2021, 11:05:52 PM11/29/21
to android-...@googlegroups.com
The build variant (eng/userdebug/user) generally should only affect the device builds, not the test builds, but there may be some differences. The instructions at https://source.android.com/compatibility/cts/development don't set anything, so you'll be using the default of `eng` if you build cts with those instructions. Our CI builds tend to be `userdebug`, so I wouldn't be surprised if that's what the shipping CTS binaries are built with, but they could also be built with `user` -- it really shouldn't make a difference.

- Dan

---
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/android-building/710417b2-7efd-4961-b629-0a38520f4d16n%40googlegroups.com.