build android q version on ubuntu 18.04 all cpu at low priority

Minghui Ma

Apr 7, 2020, 12:42:57 PM4/7/20
to Android Building

hi all

 when i build android q version on ubuntu 18.04 i found all cpu at low priority, and the ni value is 19, PRI value is 39. like below picture. is this normal???

QQ拼音截图20200407142802.png

Dan Willemsen

Apr 7, 2020, 12:52:26 PM4/7/20
to Android Building
Yes, one byproduct of the nsjail sandboxing that we use is to switch up the scheduling groups. In our testing, this did not change the performance of the build.

It did help the interactiveness (ssh, desktop w/mouse+keyboard, etc) of the machine while the build was running. It's still not perfect, but it's an improvement (cgroups help the most, but are difficult for the build to set up).

- Dan

---
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/android-building/91a40872-46d8-4755-9419-06a039fbaccc%40googlegroups.com.

mmh19...@gmail.com

Oct 12, 2020, 11:27:27 AM10/12/20
to Android Building
Thank you very much.

Longping Tang

Aug 18, 2021, 1:40:36 PM8/18/21
to Android Building
Hi  Dan
I want to increase priority when building aosp.  How can I increase ni value to 0?

Dan Willemsen

Aug 27, 2021, 6:27:11 PM8/27/21
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Is there a specific use case where you need the nice value increased? Realize that we're also running in SCHED_BATCH mode, which also affects how the processes are scheduled. We didn't really see any build time changes when we switched this, only an increase in interactivity when using the desktop while building a build.

If you did want to change this, it looks like we'd need to upgrade our nsjail prebuilt (with this change), then you could add "--nice_value", "0", to the argument list here.

- Dan