physical versus virtual cloud build machine

Iben Rodriguez

Jul 8, 2021, 5:46:27 PM7/8/21
to Android Building
Do most of you use physical machines to build a full custom ROM?

I found this link but it's pretty old so I wanted to get some current ideas and options from you more experienced people who have been doing this.

We have to decide to purchase a big multi-core linux system to sit under someone's desk in the office or just rent one in the cloud. We have a decent 2gpbs internet link and are mostly running vs code IDE today.  If the machine was hosted in the cloud we could VNC into it and run VS Code from anywhere.  Has anyone done this?  Any pros or cons?

Many thanks in advance!

Igor Kukushkin

Jul 9, 2021, 5:13:21 PM7/9/21
to android-...@googlegroups.com
It's definitely a thing, yes - myself, renting 48 core/320+gb ram as my remote test lab :/

Have you seen the frontier state of distributed Linux-based handheld computer OS development btw? https://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/build I guess..
So Chrome/AOSP/Chromium targets are not a problem to be building daily even on a entry level R5, but shipping a sequence of releases following some plan especially when having a dozen of SKUs and a need to revisit - can definitely win from local order of extra blinkenlights.
I'd say...

Compiling/fuzzing: go for faster cpus locally / optimize ssd. (Check build trace chat, 1/3 is basically "write and delete 50gb of temp fs images") .
Compiling: rent cpus / buy remote cheap storage
Shipping releases: rent it
Setting up QA, sweatshop lab/training environment: own it

---
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/android-building/6b169c63-840f-403f-ba38-8fd7c06cd31dn%40googlegroups.com.