Build a launcher app in AOSP

Heejin Kang

Aug 24, 2022, 5:51:04 PM8/24/22
to Android Building
Hi all,
It may be a very simple question, but I'm struggling with building my personal launcher in AOSP.
I have googled to find out the way, and found the solution which is just adding LOCAL_OVERRIDES_PACKAGES := Launcher3 (or any launchers running) and add my launcher in build/target/product/handheld_system_ext.mk.
I have added the launcher in that .mk file because there was the launcher currently running on my device.

However, once I follow these steps and build, no launcher is comming out. The device just shows the wallpaper and nothing. So I guess the launcher has been perfectly overrode.

My question is, is there anything wrong on my buidling? Or is this problem caused by the launcher app so that I need to change some settings on the app not on aosp?

I'm a newbie so this question might be weird to someones. But please help me out to figure out this problem. Thank you a lot in advance.