Understanding flow Sequence in Android Build system

Sumit Kumar

May 24, 2021, 2:15:12 PM5/24/21
to Android Building
HI all ,
    I am attempting to understand the flow sequence for Android Build system using Andorid 11 as the base, as a part of my work. I  would like to know from you guys which would be the best indenxing tool for this purpose , as the build system consists of many different file formats, ".bp" ,".mk" ".ninja" ".sh" ".go"  to name some of them?
Further if any one has ever attempted any thing similar to what ever extent  please share some docs/links/references as it would be a big stepping stone for me to start.

The following links gave me a fair understanding of syntax for  kati, ninja and soong:-

Regards,
Sumit Kumar

Christian Gagneraud

May 24, 2021, 8:19:05 PM5/24/21
to android-...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, 25 May 2021 at 06:15, Sumit Kumar <sumitk...@gmail.com> wrote:

> HI all ,
> I am attempting to understand the flow sequence for Android Build system using Andorid 11 as the base, as a part of my work. I would like to know from you guys which would be the best indenxing tool for this purpose , as the build system consists of many different file formats, ".bp" ,".mk" ".ninja" ".sh" ".go" to name some of them?
> Further if any one has ever attempted any thing similar to what ever extent please share some docs/links/references as it would be a big stepping stone for me to start.

Sounds like a good idea, tho i don't know if this is actually feasible.
I use "mgrep" when i'm digging into mk/bp.
I have to say that there are a lot of global variables, and most of
them are undocumented. This is very frustrating.
The build system of AOSP is very obscure, that was a big
disappointment for me when I started.
Magic stuff everywhere!

"make product-graph" is a very useful tool, I think soong/bp is fairly
documented. The Makefiles are the pain point IMO.

Chris