libncurses5 package missing from Ubuntu 23.10+

Alexander Koskovich

Sep 21, 2023, 1:06:32 AM9/21/23
to Android Building
AOSP (main) won't compile starting from this version onward. Is there a plan to migrate renderscript to a newer Clang version or is that not likely?

enh

Sep 21, 2023, 12:37:41 PM9/21/23
to android-...@googlegroups.com
what's the renderscript connection here? what's the build error you're seeing?

On Wed, Sep 20, 2023 at 10:06 PM 'Alexander Koskovich' via Android
Building <android-...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> AOSP (main) won't compile starting from this version onward. Is there a plan to migrate renderscript to a newer Clang version or is that not likely?
>
> --
> --
>
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Android Building" group.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/android-building/f8c94f8b-5b50-475a-a41f-3115fbf7fc12n%40googlegroups.com.

Alexander Koskovich

Sep 21, 2023, 4:34:07 PM9/21/23
to Android Building

prebuilts/clang/host/linux-x86/clang-3289846/bin/clang.real: error while loading shared libraries: libncurses.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
15:24:30 ninja failed with: exit status 1

clang-3289846 is being used only for Renderscript currently it looks like. Super old version of Clang, 3.8. The package containing libncurses.so.5 is no longer found in Ubuntu 23.10+ or Debian testing.

enh

Sep 21, 2023, 6:08:38 PM9/21/23
to android-...@googlegroups.com
thanks! i talked to our llvm folks, and they've filed a bug to switch
to prebuilts for this. in the meantime, they also point out that
prebuilts/gcc/linux-x86/host/x86_64-linux-glibc2.17-4.8/sysroot/usr/lib/libncurses.so.5.9
might be useful as a workaround :-)

actually removing renderscript is a longer-term project... it's been
deprecated for a couple of releases, and we're working on disabling it
for apps with target api level $next_year, but it'll be a year or two
after that until it can actually be removed fully.

On Thu, Sep 21, 2023 at 1:34 PM 'Alexander Koskovich' via Android
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/android-building/e6eb685f-0a64-4d5a-bca2-7a923371642en%40googlegroups.com.

Stephen Hines

Sep 22, 2023, 7:59:09 PM9/22/23
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Feel free to cherry-pick https://android-review.git.corp.google.com/c/platform/prebuilts/clang/host/linux-x86/+/2760210 in the meantime, and let me know if you have trouble with it. I'll be following up with a more final solution, but this should also unblock you.

Steve

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Android Building" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/android-building/CAJgzZooGtV4gB1qqLjNxThQ%3DU3db3c_DQ4vEmkvt%2BDyvxJq-eg%40mail.gmail.com.

Alexander Koskovich

Sep 29, 2023, 4:35:21 PM9/29/23
to Android Building
Thanks! Is this something we might see in the Android 14 QPRs as well, or do you think it won't be in an official release until Android 15?

xstefen

Sep 29, 2023, 4:37:27 PM9/29/23
to Android Building

Would love to but one does not simply walk into *.corp.google.com

Dan Willemsen

Sep 29, 2023, 4:41:15 PM9/29/23
to android-...@googlegroups.com

enh

Sep 29, 2023, 4:50:13 PM9/29/23
to android-...@googlegroups.com
yes, this should make it into the qprs.

On Fri, Sep 29, 2023 at 1:35 PM 'Alexander Koskovich' via Android