Delay on click on widget item

Fabio Collini

Mar 19, 2011, 7:57:06 AM3/19/11
to android-appwidget-extensions
Hi, I have found a strange behaviour in scrollable widgets in my app
Folder Organizer.
My app shows clickable items in a scrollable widget, there is a delay
on second click on an item. To reproduce it you need to:
* click on an item on scrollable widget
* close the application using home button
* click on another item on scrollable widget within 5 seconds
The second time there is a delay. I have seen in logcat this warning:

03-19 12:55:35.170: WARN/ActivityManager(156): Activity start request
from 10095 stopped

I think it's releated to this bug (or "feature"!):
http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=4536

Do you have any solution (or workaround) to fix it?
Thanks in advance
Fabio

Francois DESLANDES

Mar 19, 2011, 8:01:10 AM3/19/11
to android-appwid...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

sorry, but I think I can't do anything about this.
The click management is fully handled by the launcher side.

Have you tried with a 'true' launcher such as ADW ?

Nobody ever reported such issue, but I wasn't even aware that Folder organizer supported scrollable widgets.

I tested my app on 8 phones/tablets, with 4 different launchers without any trouble.

ciao,
Francois

2011/3/19 Fabio Collini <fabio....@gmail.com>

--
Francois Deslandes @ Pure widgets - Android widgets

Fabio Collini

Mar 19, 2011, 8:52:19 AM3/19/11
to android-appwidget-extensions
Hi, I have tested it on ADW and LauncherPro and some users reported
it. The issue is sistematic and can be easily reproduced.
I have installed your app Pure News Widget and it has this issue too.
I am using a Nexus one with Cyanogenmod 7rc2, to reproduce it:
* click on a news
* press menu button
* immediately click on another news
The second one starts after 5 seconds even if you click immediately on
it.
Thanks for your help
Fabio

On Mar 19, 1:01 pm, Francois DESLANDES <kox...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> sorry, but I think I can't do anything about this.
> The click management is fully handled by the launcher side.
>
> Have you tried with a 'true' launcher such as ADW ?
>
> Nobody ever reported such issue, but I wasn't even aware that Folder
> organizer supported scrollable widgets.
>
> I tested my app on 8 phones/tablets, with 4 different launchers without any
> trouble.
>
> ciao,
> Francois
>
> 2011/3/19 Fabio Collini <fabio.coll...@gmail.com>
>

> > Hi, I have found a strange behaviour in scrollable widgets in my app
> > Folder Organizer.
> > My app shows clickable items in a scrollable widget, there is a delay
> > on second click on an item. To reproduce it you need to:
> >  * click on an item on scrollable widget
> >  * close the application using home button
> >  * click on another item on scrollable widget within 5 seconds
> > The second time there is a delay. I have seen in logcat this warning:
>
> > 03-19 12:55:35.170: WARN/ActivityManager(156): Activity start request
> > from 10095 stopped
>
> > I think it's releated to this bug (or "feature"!):
> >http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=4536
>
> > Do you have any solution (or workaround) to fix it?
> > Thanks in advance
> > Fabio
>
> --
> Francois Deslandes @ Pure widgets <http://koxx3.wordpress.com> - Android
> widgets

Francois DESLANDES

Mar 19, 2011, 8:59:47 AM3/19/11
to android-appwid...@googlegroups.com
so, it would be in consecutive activity launch only ?

2011/3/19 Fabio Collini <fabio....@gmail.com>

--
Francois Deslandes @ Pure widgets - Android widgets

Fabio Collini

Mar 19, 2011, 9:16:24 AM3/19/11
to android-appwidget-extensions
Yes, only if you click, press home and click again within 5 seconds.
In my opinion it's releated to what it's exaplined in this comment:

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=4536#c10

On Mar 19, 1:59 pm, Francois DESLANDES <kox...@gmail.com> wrote:
> so, it would be in consecutive activity launch only ?

Francois DESLANDES

Mar 19, 2011, 9:38:44 AM3/19/11
to android-appwid...@googlegroups.com
ok, sorry, I misunderstood your first email... and I confirm the issue.
But pressing the 'back' key works fine.

2011/3/19 Fabio Collini <fabio....@gmail.com>

--
Francois Deslandes @ Pure widgets - Android widgets

Fabio Collini

Mar 19, 2011, 10:05:16 AM3/19/11
to android-appwidget-extensions
Yes, the issue appears only if home button is pressed. It's strange
because if I create a normal widget (not scrollable) it works
correctly.

On Mar 19, 2:38 pm, Francois DESLANDES <kox...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ok, sorry, I misunderstood your first email... and I confirm the issue.
> But pressing the 'back' key works fine.

Florian Sundermann

Mar 21, 2011, 2:46:35 AM3/21/11
to android-appwid...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I have the same issue with my widget... Do you use API V1 or V2??

Francois DESLANDES

Mar 21, 2011, 3:50:50 AM3/21/11
to android-appwid...@googlegroups.com
API V1 to stay compliant of LauncherPro :(

2011/3/21 Florian Sundermann <boom...@googlemail.com>

--
Francois Deslandes @ Pure widgets - Android widgets

Fabio Collini

Mar 21, 2011, 2:18:50 PM3/21/11
to android-appwid...@googlegroups.com
I am using API V1 too.
Any news about this issue?
Fabio

Florian Sundermann

Mar 21, 2011, 5:34:10 PM3/21/11
to android-appwid...@googlegroups.com
No but we having the same issue with both api versions which work very
differently when it comes to the clickhandling ;-(

Fabio Collini

Apr 30, 2011, 6:22:30 AM4/30/11
to android-appwidget-extensions
Hi, are you still working on this issue?

I'll speak to whymca, the most important Italian mobile conference.
This is the abstract of my talk:

http://www.whymca.org/intervento/widget-su-android

I'll talk about this library too, it would be great if you fix this
issue soon!
Thanks again for your work
Fabio

On 21 Mar, 23:34, Florian Sundermann <boombu...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> No but we having the same issue with both api versions which work very
> differently when it comes to the clickhandling ;-(
>
> 2011/3/21 Fabio Collini <fabio.coll...@gmail.com>:
>

> > I am using API V1 too.
> > Any news about this issue?
> > Fabio
>
> > On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 8:50 AM, Francois DESLANDES <kox...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
>
> >> API V1 to stay compliant of LauncherPro :(

Florian Sundermann

Apr 30, 2011, 6:48:05 AM4/30/11
to android-appwid...@googlegroups.com
The big question here:
Where is the "lag"?
Is it the time between clicking the view and sending the intent?
Does the intent take the time to reach its goal?
Or is it some time of "startup" time till the widget classes gets recreated...

Depending on this there might be no chance to fix this ;-(

Fabio Collini

Apr 30, 2011, 9:56:09 AM4/30/11
to android-appwid...@googlegroups.com
Hi, the lag is between home button press and next activity start (even if you press fast on home button and then on the widget the activity doesn't start in less than 5 seconds).
I don't know if ti can be fixed, but maybe a workaround...