Testing branch, testers please

Ander Web

Sep 21, 2010, 4:49:09 PM9/21/10
to android-appwidget-extensions
Hi, I've just commited to a new testing branch 2 changesets.
I'd like some testing from you guys before merging them into production...

The first patch (r50) tries to fix an old memory leak we got when removing scrollable widgets from the launcher app.
The second patch (r51) change the cursor queries so they don't block the UI thread by using AsyncQueryHandler (http://developer.android.com/intl/de/reference/android/content/AsyncQueryHandler.html).

I'm sure you all know I'm a bad coder so this changes may be evaluated and tested/optimized.

Regards,
ADW

Florian Sundermann

Oct 30, 2010, 7:57:06 AM10/30/10
to android-appwidget-extensions
Hi @ all

since the latest ADW version included this patches and it works all
well for me, are there any other test results?

And another short question to the launcher devs:
Is there any list about which launcher implements which release of the
API code? I know that ADW and Zeam include the new 2.0 API but what
about the others?
I'm sitting on a finished version of my widget and can't release it
cause there are to many launchers that only implements 1.0 API.
(looking at you fede ;-))

Maybe a list of "supported launchers" would be great! cause the list
from the "startpage" of this group is not really up to date.

BTW: thx again to all of you for this ;)

Regards
Florian

Florian Sundermann

Nov 6, 2010, 11:36:50 AM11/6/10
to android-appwidget-extensions
Hi @ all

just fixed a FC in the V2 API code if the cursor is null (empty) in
the testing branch and in the trunk.
So everyone including this code should update!

@ander I already pushed the fix ;)

Regards
Florian

Francois DESLANDES

Nov 6, 2010, 8:09:13 PM11/6/10
to android-appwid...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I have multiple users reports with image ressource ID usage problems
(exception) in scrollable API with latest ROM of HTC Desire HD and
myTouch 4G.

I am in holidays, so, I am not able to look at the problem, but does
anybody else get the issue ?

ciao,
Francois

rofl harrison

Nov 6, 2010, 8:15:11 PM11/6/10
to android-appwid...@googlegroups.com
I am getting reports of this problem as well.

Not sure how much I will be able to do without the device but will take a look!

Florian Sundermann

Nov 8, 2010, 1:46:40 AM11/8/10
to android-appwid...@googlegroups.com
If anyone could send me a more detailed report I will have a look at it!

Regards
Florian

Ander Web

Nov 8, 2010, 2:37:05 AM11/8/10
to android-appwid...@googlegroups.com

Yeah, "no log, no issue" ;)

Francois DESLANDES

Nov 8, 2010, 3:18:11 AM11/8/10
to android-appwid...@googlegroups.com
Here is a logcat with LP implementation :
http://pastebin.com/F8yLuUe0

Florian Sundermann

Nov 8, 2010, 3:32:09 AM11/8/10
to android-appwid...@googlegroups.com
HTC Desire HD like the Agendawidget stacktrace I saw?

Francois DESLANDES

Nov 8, 2010, 4:08:20 AM11/8/10
to android-appwid...@googlegroups.com
no, HTC myTouch 4G, but exactly the same issue (very close phone it seems).

the logcat start :
Log Collector version: 1.1.0
Device model: HTC Glacier
Firmware version: 2.2.1
Kernel version: 2.6.32.21-g899d047
htc-kernel@and18-2 )
#1 PREEMPT Tue Oct 26 16:10:01 CST 2010
Build number: FRG83

I had same reports with HTC Desire HD.

Florian Sundermann

Nov 8, 2010, 4:21:42 AM11/8/10
to android-appwid...@googlegroups.com
Any of them with CM or AOSP sources or all with HTC build roms?

Francois DESLANDES

Nov 8, 2010, 4:24:10 AM11/8/10
to android-appwid...@googlegroups.com
stock ROMs

Florian Sundermann

Nov 8, 2010, 4:29:20 AM11/8/10
to android-appwid...@googlegroups.com
So I guess a HTC bug...
What else can be done except of catching the exception?

Francois DESLANDES

Nov 8, 2010, 4:39:29 AM11/8/10
to android-appwid...@googlegroups.com
may it would be interesting to break this line of code to see where
does the problem could come from :
drawable = Drawable.createFromResourceStream(ctx.getResources(), null,
ctx.getResources().openRawResource( imgId),
ctx.getResources().getResourceName(imgId));

HTC bug may be, but it would be good to find a trick to bypass it ...
it's never good when a user can use our API ...

Florian, if you can email me, I can give you the email of 1 or 2 users.
I'll be back in 1 week to more testing.

rofl harrison

Nov 8, 2010, 4:42:01 AM11/8/10
to android-appwid...@googlegroups.com
A friend of mine has a Desire HD on order, with any luck it will be here in a few days an I can try and find a workaround. Other then that the line number in BitmapFactory does not match the master of android on git. Potentially HTC has been meddling with this class?

Florian Sundermann

Nov 8, 2010, 4:51:03 AM11/8/10
to android-appwid...@googlegroups.com
I could flash a sense-froyo rom to my desire and see if I can
reproduce the issue...
Maybe even a desire HD rom if it works...

Any reports of "normal" desire users?

Ander Web

Nov 8, 2010, 4:56:37 AM11/8/10
to android-appwid...@googlegroups.com

Could this be caused by an underlying oom error when trying to load a resource so it generates the npe later?

Francois DESLANDES

Nov 8, 2010, 10:05:41 AM11/8/10
to android-appwid...@googlegroups.com
No, no problem reported with normal Desire.
I don't think it's a oom problem : a user tested with only 1 single
widget after a reboot, and same problem.

I think if you can flash a Desire HD ROM on a normal Desire, the
problem should occur.

Florian Sundermann

Nov 8, 2010, 10:56:01 AM11/8/10
to android-appwid...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

2010/11/8 Francois DESLANDES <kox...@gmail.com>:

> I think if you can flash a Desire HD ROM on a normal Desire, the
> problem should occur.

Seems so: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=789830

I will have a look at it (and give feedback) as soon as possible...

Florian Sundermann

Nov 8, 2010, 1:56:48 PM11/8/10
to android-appwid...@googlegroups.com
Good news everyone: I can reproduce the bug with agendawidget and ADW.
But there is no FC. it just looks weird and produces a log msg...

I go for a smoke and then do some testing...
BTW: Desire is to slow with Desire HD rom...

Regards
Florian

Florian Sundermann

Nov 8, 2010, 2:09:02 PM11/8/10
to android-appwid...@googlegroups.com
Francois I guess it's your code: can we use

InputStream rawResource = ctx.getResources().openRawResource( imgId);
drawable = Drawable.createFromStream(rawResource,
ctx.getResources().getResourceName(imgId));

instead of the original code? cause It seem to work for me...

Regards
Florian

Francois DESLANDES

Nov 8, 2010, 6:50:35 PM11/8/10
to android-appwid...@googlegroups.com
Yes, sure :)

rofl harrison

Nov 9, 2010, 8:13:32 AM11/9/10
to android-appwid...@googlegroups.com
According  to my users with Desire HD units this patch fixes the problem (tested with a new build of ADW).

Nice work Florian!

Florian Sundermann

Nov 9, 2010, 8:22:01 AM11/9/10
to android-appwid...@googlegroups.com
Ok,

gonna commit this as soon as I am home to the trunk and the testing branch...

Francois DESLANDES

Nov 9, 2010, 8:24:52 AM11/9/10
to android-appwid...@googlegroups.com
Yes, thank you very much Florian ! :)

Florian Sundermann

Nov 9, 2010, 11:30:12 AM11/9/10
to android-appwid...@googlegroups.com
Just commited the changes to trunk / testing branch for L+ and to my
fixes branch for ADW.

So everyone should update their launcher code ;-)

Florian Sundermann

Dec 26, 2010, 5:08:58 AM12/26/10
to android-appwidget-extensions
Just fixed another FC at the testing branch!