Radar Now Admin

Jan 17, 2011, 3:48:20 PM1/17/11
to Android App Radar Now
Here's a list of frequently asked questions about Radar Now!:

Q: What do the colors of the radar mean?
A: There is a color chart in the help text. Just press the "H" on the
first page to display it. You can also visit this website:
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/jetstream/doppler/comprefl.htm

Q: What is the source of the radar?
A: The radar used is from the National Weather Service is called the
WSR-88D.

Q: What type of radar image is used for Radar Now!?
A: We use the NOAA's Composite Reflectivity images. You can also visit
this website: http://www.srh.noaa.gov/jetstream/doppler/comprefl.htm
for more information on that radar image type.

Q: Why are the radar images a few minutes old? Why don't they show
real time?
A: The NOAA generates new radar images approximately every four or
five minutes when there is activity in the area. It takes several
minutes for the images to become available to us so we are showing the
most up to date images possible.

Q: Why are the current conditions showing months old?
A: Some stations may be down or permanently offline. Please report to
us any stations that show problems and we'll removed them from the
system. At some point we will develop an automated procedure to do
this. Until then, we will have to rely on our users to help out.

Q: The app is giving me a message saying the radar is more than a
couple of hours old. What does this mean?
A: The radar for your area is probably offline. This happens because
of equipment failure and scheduled maintenance. Usually the radar will
be back up within a day.

Q: The app keeps telling me location services aren't available. How
can I fix this?
A: Make sure both your GPS and wireless location services are active.
In order to do this, press the menu button-settings-Location &
Security then make sure "Use wireless networks" and "Use GPS
satellites" are checked.

Q: I don't want to use the device location services to run the app.
What's the alternative?
A: There currently is no alternative. Location services don't consume
any resources when they are not being used. It's in your best interest
to enable the device to use these features so that apps that need them
can function.

This conversation is locked