Help needed in developing an android app to display OSM

SK

Nov 15, 2012, 1:09:56 PM11/15/12
to and...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm totally new to Open street Map and hence please forgive me if I'm asking some basic question.

I've seen many apps including AndRoad which supports rendering OSM in android device, but couldn't find any information on how is it supported.

I'm planning to develop an android app which just displays some map rendering just for a demo. Please let me know which is the good place for me to get started. I can't figure out which is the best place to start looking into your code to understand this, nor could I see any good documentation on how to achieve this.

Is simply opening a webview with some openly available JS good enough to support this?

Any help is highly appreciated as I'm new to this area.

Thanks.

tempor...@googlemail.com

Nov 16, 2012, 8:40:17 PM11/16/12
to and...@googlegroups.com
hi,

androad does not render maps. it downloads tiles from server using the osmdroid library.
see the org.osmdroid.tileprovider package.

Dan Dascalescu

Nov 16, 2012, 9:45:59 PM11/16/12
to and...@googlegroups.com
OsmAnd does vector rendering of OSM maps on the Android - http://code.google.com/p/osmand/

Also, I think AndRoad is pretty much dead.

--
Dan Dascalescu
CIO, Blueseed, the visa-free startup ship

tempor...@googlemail.com

Nov 18, 2012, 1:38:14 PM11/18/12
to and...@googlegroups.com
there is a killer extension (imo) under process for AndRoad, stay tuned, few days left.