FTPserver and Android 6

Tim G

Dec 15, 2018, 1:31:25 PM12/15/18
to AndreasLiebig
I've been using FTPserver 2.9.1 for many years, but I am forced to move to Android 6 due to more and more apps requiring it.

FTPserver does not support ExtSdCard in Marshmallow.

I have read all the posts on this topic here, and searched elsewhere on Google and have not found a solution.
Has anyone found any way to enable FTPserver 2.9.1 to write to ExtSdCard in Marshmallow?

tim.11....@gmail.com

Dec 24, 2018, 12:51:53 PM12/24/18
to AndreasLiebig
Given no workaround for Android 6 and beyond, it's time to say goodbye to FTPserver.
I'm moving to WiFi Pro FTP Server by Medha.  Frankly it is not as good as Andreas' FTPserver, but it it at least functional, as it supports the storage model of Android 6+.
If Andreas is ever able to update FTPserver, I'd be very happy to switch back.

Tim Godfrey

Dec 26, 2018, 5:43:54 PM12/26/18
to AndreasLiebig
To save anyone else moving away from FTPserver a lot of time and debugging, WiFi Pro FTP Server by Medha has some issues.
1) It has no "Start server with android" option. Manually starting the server is always required. Apparently the developer never imagined like unattended scripts for backup.
2) While it can access the ExtSdCard, it cannot simultaneously access the ExtSdCard and internal storage.  The root folder has to be manually changed. The real filesystem root is not an option.
3) There is no tasker plugin for any automation.

I just bought Servers Ultimate Pro by Ice Cold Apps.  I don't really need 63 different servers, just a well-implemented FTP server. But this looks good so far.   It definitely handles items 1) and 3), and I'm still working on 2).  It looks like it should, but I haven't found the right settings yet.

Tim G

Dec 28, 2018, 11:40:27 AM12/28/18
to AndreasLiebig
Quick Update - two days of debugging with Servers Ultimate Pro by Ice Cold Apps, and I still cannot get write access to extSDcard over FTP.  The server app has root access, so it would seem to be a non-issue, yet I cannot get it to work.  Multiple emails to developer unanswered so far.   Everything else about the app is excellent.

tim.11....@gmail.com

Mar 30, 2019, 5:23:05 PM3/30/19
to AndreasLiebig
Months later I'm still looking for a functional FTP server that will work on Android 6.  As far as I know there is nothing. Servers Ultimate Pro by Ice Cold Apps still cannot write to SD-Card.