Wikidata needs you!

Thomas Kerboul

Dec 12, 2023, 4:07:16 PM12/12/23
to Ancient People

Dear all,

Several months ago, fellow Wikidata contributors and I established the WikiProject Antiquity (https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:WikiProject_Antiquity) as a collaborative space for discussing topic-wide projects, addressing challenges, and exploring new properties. The project's scope is extensive, encompassing the entire Mediterranean region from the advent of writing to late antiquity, across various disciplines. While many of our members have a background in classics and some are active researchers, the majority contribute during their free time.

I want to highlight this project as an inclusive space for anyone already engaged in Wikidata, those looking to initiate contributions or discussion, or individuals simply interested in reusing the information available! We are enthusiastic about offering assistance, whether it's creating queries, advising and participating in projects, or navigating the sometimes complex Wikimedia environment.

Within the symposium's broad array of topics, it seems that the People category holds particular significance for Wikidata, presenting both interest and room for improvement. Currently, we are linking to several dozen other projects and databases (https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Template:Ancient_world_properties), excluding those extending beyond antiquity. While we have made significant progress in matching IDs for some, others have only a few matches – the SNAP property could benefit from additional attention in this regard.

Feel free to reach out with any questions or join us in the WikiProject Antiquity! I'll be keeping an eye on the symposium's outcomes.

Best,

Thomas - User:Jahl de Vautban