People of the Ancient World conference (Cluj-Napoca, Oct 2016)

Gabriel Bodard

Jan 18, 2016, 6:58:36 AM1/18/16
to ancient...@googlegroups.com
*Call for papers: People of the Ancient World*
International Conference
Babeș-Bolyai University, Cluj-Napoca, 13–15 October 2016

Population studies for the Ancient World have always been an appealing
research field. From demographic reconstructions to onomastical
researches and from networks analyses to prosopography and familial
micro-history, ancient people are a constant and continuous source of
inspiration.Today, more than ever, by employing digital methods and
online resources, the study of ancient people is evolving greatly, in
new and exciting directions.

As part of the project Romans 1by1, the Centre for Roman Studies of
the University of Cluj-Napoca organizes a 3-day conference focused on
the population(s) of the ancient world. Our aim is tobring together
scholars interested in the research of ancient population froma
variety of fields, dealing with the matter from different
perspectives. We support any subject related to ancient population and
encourage all approaches, inviting proposals for an inter-disciplinary
conference. Although our focus will be on the Graeco-Roman world, our
interest is not restricted to this area.

We are especially, but not exclusively, interested in:
1) Theories and methodologies of population research for the ancient world
2) Onomastics, naming practices and name interpretation
3) Network studies and groups’ reconstruction
4) Differences in the research of the elites and the non-elites. Work
and labour in the ancient world
5) Ancient population databases: present work, future directions
6) Social interaction between the local population and foreigners

Abstracts (max. 300 words) for 15-20 minutes presentations can be
submitted at the conference address, roman...@gmail.com, until 15th
of June2016. Notification of acceptance will be given by1st of July
2016. We strongly encourage submissions from post-graduate and
post-doctoral researchers.

The official language of the conference will be English, but in special cases
we can also accept presentations in other languages.

For further information, please use the same address: roman...@gmail.com.

--
Dr Gabriel BODARD
Reader in Digital Classics