Slack group?

Mike X Cohen

Sep 29, 2019, 10:38:11 AM9/29/19
to analyzingneura...@googlegroups.com
Hi list. Does anyone here have experiences or opinions about using Slack for loosely organized groups like this one? I'm considering transitioning to Slack and wondering if there are strong feelings one way or the other.

What is Slack? It's like a chat-forum site that supports multiple searchable threads, conversations, private messages, and image/video uploads. It seems pretty cool from what I can tell. Other advantages include more user interactions and less email (that is, you can opt out of update alerts). It's free, although you would need to register to join a group.

I'd be happy to hear your thoughts about or experiences with it. Thanks in advance!
Mike

--
Mike X Cohen, PhD
Fresh look: mikexcohen.com

John Johnson

Sep 29, 2019, 11:08:16 AM9/29/19
to analyzingneura...@googlegroups.com
Have you considered a Discourse site? I find the information much easier to find. Slack is similar to Twitter, the information is ephemeral, conversations run together, etc.

I have a Discourse site in its infancy that I setup to discuss these topics. I can make you an admin and you can run the show if you like.

https://meegfmri.com

Regards,
John

John T. Johnson
PhD Candidate - Applied Physiology
Georgia Institute of Technology

dritannikolla

Sep 29, 2019, 11:24:19 AM9/29/19
to analyzingneura...@googlegroups.com
I am up for it.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

Mike X Cohen

Sep 29, 2019, 12:53:42 PM9/29/19
to analyzingneura...@googlegroups.com
Thanks John. I had previously thought Discourse was mainly a solution for gamers, but it does look like it might be more conducive to longer discussions. I'll look into that as well!

Jose

Sep 29, 2019, 2:13:18 PM9/29/19
to analyzingneura...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mike,

I'm mostly positive toward Slack, it's nice because allows to have several answers to a same question easily visualised, with the added advantage of comments to the specific answers. It only require to have an account, but once done it's ok. It's also widely used. When I need information about statistics or Matlab, many questions are often redirected to a Slack channel when looking in Google. It has also a rank of the most useful answers according to the people that have tried the answers, that's also nice. Overall, I think is worthy of try,
José Luis

--
José Luis Ulloa Fulgeri
Mobile: +56 9 33 24 72 37

John Johnson

Sep 29, 2019, 8:42:26 PM9/29/19
to analyzingneura...@googlegroups.com
There’s a great Discourse community over at http://talk.macpowerusers.com that is a good example.

Regards,
John

John T. Johnson
PhD Candidate - Applied Physiology
Georgia Institute of Technology

Talha Anwar

Sep 29, 2019, 9:36:21 PM9/29/19
to AnalyzingNeuralTimeSeriesData
I would like to say, it should be a discord channel instead of slack. as slack stat deleting previous messages, if limits exceeds . And discord is totally free

Rabnawaz khan

Sep 29, 2019, 10:05:45 PM9/29/19
to analyzingneura...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I have been using Discord for above year and it is a nice platform for such kind of discussions.

Best Regards,

Rabnawaz

Joel F

Oct 4, 2019, 4:57:15 PM10/4/19
to AnalyzingNeuralTimeSeriesData

Hi Mike,

I would be happy to start a Slack channel, the only disadvantage is, as people mention, that it may start to eventually delete old messages on a free plan. Also, I think there might be some confusion here since Discourse and Discord are two different apps.

Best,
Joel

Mike X Cohen

Oct 9, 2019, 3:35:01 AM10/9/19
to analyzingneura...@googlegroups.com
Thanks everyone for your input. After reading your comments and doing a bit more investigations, I've decided for a discourse forum, as Slack is more for stream-chatting. Formal invite and details in a few moments!