Baseline Normalisation

Debanjan Borthakur

May 8, 2020, 5:11:53 PM5/8/20
to AnalyzingNeuralTimeSeriesData
Hi, Mike

I have two groups. The signal I am analysis is skin conductance. The protocol has several conditions and a baseline. I need to compare skin conductance across conditions as well as between the two groups. If I zscore the signals , the group comparison will not be possible as it will remove the differences. But as you suggested in your book, if I do z transform where raw data are scaled to standard deviation units relative to the raw data
during the baseline period. I assume , my comparison between the groups will remain valid and the actual difference between the groups wont be effected? Please let me know.

Mike X Cohen

May 9, 2020, 1:21:07 AM5/9/20
to analyzingneura...@googlegroups.com
Hi Debanjan. In principle, that's fine. But I would be concerned about too little variability in the conductance signal. Perhaps percent change might be a better option.

btw, this google-group is now defunct. You can use discuss.sincxpress.com.

Mike

Mike X Cohen, PhD
Fresh look: mikexcohen.com