8-Note MIDI polyphony

Inter Vox

Aug 16, 2021, 3:42:58 PM8/16/21
to Analog Box
Hi there!
I'm a relatively new user of ABox2, but I'm glad that it has a forum - even if it is small -, and I absolutelly love the software. Probably, I can say, this is my favourite software in this year.

I've done a few dozens of project, some of them are just small ideas, drafts, some of them are bigger jambots. Most of them are synth-design ideas, BUT all of them are free-running sound generators, or effect processors.
Except my last 1-2 projects.
I haven't made real, MIDI-driven synths, because I couldn't solve the MIDI things. Then I've tried to use Hermann Seib's VSTHost, ReaStream and the midiPolyphony VST plugin from the PizMIDI package to make a polyphonic synth; It worked, but... well, it is absolutelly NOT portable.

I wanted to solve MIDI-polyphony exactly in this software, just with it's building blocks, without any VST plugin. It seemed a bit hard for me, I had many wrong ideas, problems to solve...
BUT now, as I've been testing it, IT IS DONE! =D
I could make a 8-note polyphony MIDI output system.

8note_MIDI_polyphony_fast.bmp

It has a small drawback : every Nth note (pressed simultaneously, relative to each other) is delayed by (N-1)*23 ms. So, if you press (the maximum) 8 notes simultaneously, the "highest" note will be delayed by about 163 ms.
So you will hardly be able to play virtuose piano concertos... ;P But may be acceptable for pad-/ambient synths, or most of the not highly-virtuose electronic genres.
Anyway, the delays are really necessary because the feedback loops. And after after several attempts, I think translating serial MIDI signal to polyphonic (parallel) signals is unsolvable without feedback loops.

I attached the circuitry with a primitive 8osc sine synth.
Now it is quite ugly/chaotic, I haven't made the connections look orderly. I'm sorry for that, but I wanted to post it as soon as it is made, because I think, this circuit should be practical for almost any synth driven by MIDI keyboard.

Anyway, if you can make a simpler solution, of it is solvable without feedback, please, answer to me with the solution!
Thanks in advance!
8note_MIDI_polyphony_fast_test.ABox2

Inter Vox

Aug 16, 2021, 10:11:51 PM8/16/21
to Analog Box
I've made the main circuitry less chaotic, and I've also tried to correct/modify it to use with ADSR envelope with working Release section.
Bad news is that it's internal delays are doubled. =/ But at least, it works. =]
I've made the full sine synth, a block version of the main circuitry, and a version with using the block.
8note_MIDI_polyphony_Synth.bmp
8note_MIDI_polyphony_Synth_.bmp
Cheers!
8note_MIDI_polyphony_BLOCK.ABox2