mechanical analog box

Keith W Blackwell

Mar 26, 2020, 12:08:00 PM3/26/20
to Analog Box
I just came across this product that uses wheels to generate audio signals and thought to myself, "but I could do all that with an ABox2 circuit", and then I thought, "but there would be lots of aliasing artifacts".  Anyway, those of you who enjoy making weird sounds with analog box might get a kick out this, or out of the fact that a company would actually make such a thing as this.

I actually stumbled on it from a review in TapeOp of a different product of theirs that uses high-voltage discharge as a source of distortion.  I think it's kind of fun or even funny:

Peace and wellness,
--
Keith W. Blackwell

Lorne Covington

Mar 26, 2020, 12:37:07 PM3/26/20
to analo...@googlegroups.com

Hammond organs used spinning tonewheels until 1972.  Here they are doing pretty much the same thing with the optical patterns on the spinning disks, which from what I can tell are just sine, sawtooth, and square.  The novel thing would appear to be they also have a pickup on the spinning motor coils; not sure what waveform that would generate but I would expect some form of sinusoid.  Fun though, and hey Jean-Michel likes it.

Cheers!

- Lorne

Lorne Covington
NOIRFLUX - Art in Interaction