MIDI/VST latency

Michael Grant

Mar 26, 2019, 7:17:56 AM3/26/19
to analo...@googlegroups.com

Just because I haven’t tried this in so long, I wanted to play with the VST and MIDI in ABox.  I went back to the tutorial and opened the dead simple abox_tut2_midi\ex2_1 example.  I registered the MDA DX10 synth and my Yamaha keyboard via a midi Uno USB which works ok in Reaper.  Well, it does work in ABox but...  There’s about a 3000ms delay between when I strike a key and when I hear something!  Even when I enable the Low Latency mode in the midi in.

Is there some way to view a midi stream like on the scope or some textual output of the stream?  I was trying to understand if the delay was the VST or getting the data out of the MIDI device.

Am I doing something wrong, is there some way to reduce the latency?

Michael

Andy Turner

Mar 28, 2019, 6:01:42 PM3/28/19
to analo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Michael,

Thanks for checking this out.
Yikes, 3 seconds of latency is unusable.

I expect the problem is wholly within ABox ... most likely the midi
input side of things. Getting low latency midi has been an ongoing
problem and I recall getting different latencies everytime I used it -
frustrating!

I'll take a closer look at this and also try to address the midi yoke
issues brought up some time ago. It will be a few weeks.

There's no direct way to view the midi stream details. An indirect way
is to use the extractor options on the MidiIn object. Then at least
the extracted signals can be seen on a scope or a readout.

Cheers,
--A