Procedural audio with ABox

JP Burtell

Dec 18, 2019, 12:59:11 PM12/18/19
to analo...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

In the giving spirit of the season, I would like to torture your ears with a recent project I've been working on, and share some circuits in the process. IMPORTANT: This really should be listened to with headphones, LOL!

I've been experimenting a lot lately with procedural audio, and using the most basic processes in ABox to attempt to achieve realistic results. There are only a few examples here so far, but I'll be adding more as I develop them. They are not accurate from any sort of mathematical or proper DSP standpoint, and you may not find them to even sound very accurate. I'm OK with that. As I said, these are merely experiments to satisfy my own curiosity; however, if someone finds these circuits useful, all the better. They can be downloaded here:

Thunderstorm - pretty self-explanatory as I tried to emulate the sound of a passing storm
Gravel Path - simulating a field recording as heard from the perspective of the person walking: footsteps on gravel, breathing and occasional sniffling, passing train in the distance
Temple Garden - I was going for the sounds of brass bowls being played in a garden with birds and a nearby bamboo water feature
Nursery - Someone walks across a wood floor to wind a music box, a baby(?) can be heard

Anyway, I hope you enjoy it. If not, I apologize and may the Krampus have mercy on me.

Cheers,

John

Catalin C.

Jun 6, 2020, 2:26:15 PM6/6/20
to Analog Box
Hey, I've spent some time last winter through spring having these playing along, every once in a while!
Stunningly natural sounding, almost like actual recordings!
I'd say this is additive synthesis at its best. Sorry if there are other methods I've missed, didn't enter all of the blocks.

Thunderstorm - pretty self-explanatory as I tried to emulate the sound of a passing storm
Gravel Path - simulating a field recording as heard from the perspective of the person walking: footsteps on gravel, breathing and occasional sniffling, passing train in the distance
Temple Garden - I was going for the sounds of brass bowls being played in a garden with birds and a nearby bamboo water feature
Nursery - Someone walks across a wood floor to wind a music box, a baby(?) can be heard

That thunderstorm is the most natural-sounding synthetic storm I've heard, as I used to play with a VST plugin that tries hard to get thunders and doesn't manage to come close (not to bash the author's work, he did many other synth VSTs that sound great).
Gravel Path, both engaging and entertaining, like straight out of a recording indeed. The sniffling is surprisingly simple! I liked to play with the elements of the mix.
Temple Garden - the bowl sounds are very soothing. It also made me google for "bamboo water feature" ("shishi-odoshi", the Japanese term) just to actually see/hear one from up close and, sir, you accurately modelled this one too.
Sorry for listening very little to Nursery, I don't think I remember the baby sound. The wind-up, catchy effect.

All the best,
-
Catalin "Kirk" Chircan

JP Burtell

Jul 16, 2020, 4:01:46 PM7/16/20
to analo...@googlegroups.com
Catalin,

I'm so sorry I haven't responded sooner. Your words are too kind - thank you!

I've moved the sounds over to here: www.soundcloud.com/standard-automata
It just works better for me as these are mainly proof-of-concept sounds and experiments. I did take Nursery down as I'm re-working it and adding some things - and I re-tooled some of the other sounds. I also have a bunch more circuits in the works all at the same time, namely an ocean simulation and some mechanical/engine sims (thanks to Keith for mentioning the Motor Synth - got me thinking).

Anyway, thank you again for listening and for the feedback!

All the best!

John