[an4aa] AAANZ Conference Panel - Call for Papers (abstracts due July 29)

Francis Maravillas

Jul 12, 2022, 7:49:15 AM7/12/22
to an...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone

Marnie Badham (RMIT), Stephen Loo (UNSW) and I (CCSCA @ NTUE) are hosting the following panel at the AAANZ conference this year at Monash University and the University of Melbourne as part of our ongoing collaboration. Please get in touch if this aligns with your art making or research, we welcome any related abstracts or proposals by July 29.

'Tastes of Justice: the Politics of Food-Art Practices in Asia and Australia'

The diverse food-art practices in Asia and Australia highlight critical issues relating to the ethics and politics of curating relational practices of commensality and hospitality (Badham & Maravillas, 2019). These performative, social, and material practices engender diverse forms of cultural expression and creatively mediate cultural relations by tapping into transnational and diasporic vectors of connection to an imagined ‘home’ (Ang et al., 2000). While artists engaging with foodways can draw our attention to pressing concerns of sovereignty, race, migration, gender, labour, and climate change – the curation and exhibition of these practices raise both practical and conceptual issues. Cooking and galleries rarely mix, foodstuffs are difficult to collect, and eating creates unpredictable experiences (Badham & Maravillas, 2022). Gallery exhibitions can remove these practices from their cultural and community contexts, uncritically staging demonstrations of food cultures as spectacle, flattening their sensory and social complexities (Badham & Maravillas, 2019), as well as overlooking non-normative affects and dissonant perceptions (Loo, 2022).

For this panel, we will explore ‘the tastes of justice’, and we welcome proposals through both performative lectures as ‘cooking demonstrations’ and critical examinations of ‘curation as demonstration’ to consider the affective, sensuous, and culturally and politically attuned potential of food-art practices.

--

Dr Francis Maravillas

Assistant Professor

Critical and Curatorial Studies of Contemporary Art

National Taipei University of Education

No.134, Sec. 2, Heping E. Rd., Da-an District,

Taipei-City, 10671, Taiwan