Fwd: Fw: Coming up in the Sydney Asian Art Series...

Olivier Krischer

Sep 16, 2022, 9:06:45 AM9/16/22
to an...@googlegroups.com

Dear colleagues,
After a mid-year hiatus, the next talk in the Sydney Asian Art Series will be on soon. All welcome, online, and please do circulate.

regards
Olivier

Christopher Pinney on Citizens of Photography: 29 September, 6pm
Christopher Pinney on Citizens of Photography: 29 September, 6pm

Christopher Pinney
Citizens of Photography: Demotic Visual Practices in South Asia

Thursday, 29 September 2022
6:00pm - 7:15pm (AEST)

Online lecture & discussion. You will receive a Zoom link upon registration.
This presentation reports on recent ethnographic field research in India, Nepal and Bangladesh. Exploring Ariella Azoulay’s provocation in The Civil Contract of Photography (2008) that the camera offers a form of citizenship in advance of conventional rights, the lecture asks whether demotic (aka ‘vernacular’) practices open a subjunctive “as if”, or even the proleptic. Contra Bourdieu, it is argued, demotic practices point not so much to the past as to a future “beyond”.

Christopher Pinney is Professor of Anthropology and Visual Culture at University College London. Pinney's research has a strong geographic focus in central India: initial ethnographic research was concerned with village-resident factory workers. Subsequently he researched popular photographic practices and the consumption of Hindu chromolithographs in the same area. His publications combine contemporary ethnography with the historical archaeology of particular media, including his seminal books Camera Indica: The Social Life of Indian Photographs (1998) and Photos of the Gods: The Printed Image and Political Struggle in India (2004). His publications include Photography’s Other Histories (2003, edited with Nicolas Peterson), The Coming of Photography in India (2008), Photography and Anthropology (2011) and the Camera Artisan: Studio Photography from Central India (2013, with Suresh Punjabi). Most recently, he has been leading a collaborative project funded by the European Research Council, titled "Citizens of the Camera: Photography and the Political Imagination".
The Power Institute is a Foundation based at the University of Sydney. We are dedicated to understanding the visual world through art and visual culture. We support research, publish texts, and organise public programs.

The Power Institute would like to acknowledge and pay respect to the Gadigal people of the Eora Nation, the traditional owners of the land upon which the University of Sydney, and the Power Institute, is built. As we share our own knowledge, teaching, learning and research practices, may we also pay respect to the knowledge embedded forever within the Aboriginal Custodianship of Country.

Share this email:
Email Twitter Facebook LinkedIn
Manage your preferences | Opt out using TrueRemove®
View this email online.
The University of Sydney
Camperdown, | 2006 AU
This email was sent to olivier....@sydney.edu.au.
To continue receiving our emails, add us to your address book.