Fwd: Coming up next week...

Olivier Krischer

Nov 4, 2022, 2:17:13 AM11/4/22
to an...@googlegroups.com

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: The Power Institute <powerinsti...@sydney.edu.au>
Date: Fri, Nov 4, 2022 at 5:00 PM
Subject: Coming up next week...
To: <okri...@gmail.com>

Miryam Sas on Japanese Women Photographers: 10 November, 11am
Miryam Sas on Japanese Women Photographers: 10 November, 11am

MIRYAM SAS
Realism & Media:
Reconsidering Japanese Women Photographers

Thursday, 10 November 2022
11:00am - 12:15pm (AEST)

Online lecture & discussion. You will receive a Zoom link upon registration.

This presentation will extend considerations from the speaker's forthcoming book, Feeling Media: Potentiality and the Afterlife of Art (2022).

Miryam Sas is Professor of Comparative Literature and Film & Media at the University of California, Berkeley (USA). She began as a scholar of the experimental arts of the early twentieth century with a focus on modernist poetics and literary theory in Japan and France, reflected in her first book, Fault Lines: Cultural Memory and Japanese Surrealism (Stanford University Press, released in 2001). She has a strong interest in the cultural wave of the 1960s-1970s which she has explored through studies of theater, film, animation, dance, and intermedia art, for example in Experimental Arts in Postwar Japan: Moments of Encounter, Engagement, and Imagined Return (Harvard University Asia Center Publications, 2010).  Her new book on media theory and intermedia art in Japan, Feeling Media: Potentiality and the Afterlife of Art, for which she was awarded a UC President’s Research Fellowship in the Humanities, is forthcoming from Duke University Press.
Image: Tokiwa Toyoko, "Oroku Dancing," 1955.
The Power Institute is a Foundation based at the University of Sydney. We are dedicated to understanding the visual world through art and visual culture. We support research, publish texts, and organise public programs.

The Power Institute would like to acknowledge and pay respect to the Gadigal people of the Eora Nation, the traditional owners of the land upon which the University of Sydney, and the Power Institute, is built. As we share our own knowledge, teaching, learning and research practices, may we also pay respect to the knowledge embedded forever within the Aboriginal Custodianship of Country.

Share this email:
Email Twitter Facebook LinkedIn
Manage your preferences | Opt out using TrueRemove®
View this email online.
The University of Sydney
Camperdown, | 2006 AU
This email was sent to okri...@gmail.com.
To continue receiving our emails, add us to your address book.