teaching programming to more people

Alper Çuğun

Mar 26, 2013, 3:28:21 PM3/26/13
to amster...@googlegroups.com

Hi all,

I want to organize something to help more people in the Amsterdam area / Netherlands to learn how to program. I saw that recently there was a Rails Girls in Rotterdam ( http://railsgirls010.nl/ ), which is awesome, but I think there should be more of this stuff happening. You might have seen this important initiative: http://www.code.org/

I occasionally give some programming lessons to absolute beginners already and I was thinking of organizing an event in Amsterdam but it's too big to do by myself (and I spend most of my time in Berlin now). I am involved with Hack de Overheid and we would definitely support it and we're already thinking of ways to push this into schools. But here in Berlin I helped out with Open Tech School ( http://www.opentechschool.org/ ) which was a lot of fun and reached quite some people. They're an open (source) organization which means, we could start something similar in Amsterdam.

I'd like to hear if you're interested in something like that or what your thoughts are. If there's enough interest, I think we could kick something off.

Best,
Alper

Yorick Peterse

Mar 27, 2013, 9:09:58 AM3/27/13
to amster...@googlegroups.com
Dear Alper,

Although I don't really have any experience teaching to a wider audience
I'd love to help out. Although I don't consider myself to be a
"Everybody should learn to code" person I certainly believe that the
amount of good education on the subject is lacking (in terms of smaller
groups).

Having said that, what exactly do you have in mind? Small meetups or
something closer to actual classes/workshops?

Yorick

Wilco van Duinkerken

Mar 27, 2013, 3:39:21 PM3/27/13
to amster...@googlegroups.com
Hey,

I'm interested for sure. And a good friend, currently teaching 16 to 20 years old would like to chime in as well. Maybe it's an idea to either meet in person in Amsterdam or setup a Google Hangout / Skype appointment?

--
Wilco van Duinkerken

26 maart 2013 20:28

rachid

Mar 27, 2013, 4:55:15 PM3/27/13
to amster...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alper,

I am interested too in teaching coding skills, but I always thought about teaching kids/teenagers with no or little perspective.
This shout of you reminded me that there are things we cannot do alone :).. maybe a good starting point.

Rachid Al Maach
postbox-contact.jpg

Matijs van Zuijlen

Mar 28, 2013, 2:14:29 AM3/28/13
to amster...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alper,

I'm interested in this, especially getting school children to learn about
programming.

Regards,
Matijs.
--
Matijs

Justin Halsall

Mar 28, 2013, 11:45:37 AM3/28/13
to amster...@googlegroups.com
I don't have any time to help you guys out but I do know a couple of people who would be keen to join the lessons.