MPSG @ AMS '23: Archives/Call for Nominations

kylec...@gmail.com

Nov 6, 2023, 9:02:16 PM11/6/23
to AMS Music and Philosophy Study Group
Dear esteemed study group members,

Patrick and I hope that this message finds you well and warm as our annual meeting is almost here and with it comes some pertinent news/updates.

1. A brief outline of our activities in Denver, as we will have two events under our theme of Archives on Saturday, November 11th:

From 12:30-2pm, we will have group discussion of a wonderful work in progress by Kira Dralle, "'White-Hot Jazz:' Aesthetic Judgement and the Racial Imagination in Occupied Paris," with Charles Kronengold serving as a respondent. Please access Kira's paper here, and refrain from circulating it without her permission. [Also we are still working with AMS regarding some room issues, so look out for an email updating the actual location of the meeting/an updated online program.]

Then from 8:00-10:00pm, we will continue our discussion with a fantastic set of papers:
“Earth as Sound Archive,” Peter McMurry
"Materiality, Mobility, and Music in an Early Modern Maritime Archive,” Nathan Reeves;
“How would a post-custodial archive look like in the case of the AUMI Consortium?,” Valentina Bertolani;
"What is the Status of a Vaulted Tape When the Building Burns?,” Michael Heller.

2. We also invite nominations for two roles within the study group's leadership: co-chair (three year term); communications officer (two year term). We will accept nominations until 11pm (ET) Monday, November 20th, with instructions regarding the election to follow. Further information can be found at this submission form, but we encourage you to reach out to me or Patrick if you have any questions.

We are very much looking forward to this upcoming week, as well as the conversations and activities that will follow.

More soon,

Kyle

Kyle Kaplan, PhD
Visiting Assistant Teaching Professor of Music History and Cultures
Department of Art & Music Histories

315.443.4835
kcka...@syr.edu

Syracuse University