Music and Philosophy Study Group Events in Pittsburgh

Stephen Smith

Nov 6, 2013, 12:23:13 PM11/6/13
to ams music and philosophy study group

Hi everyone,

I hope you're all well.  I write with a reminder about upcoming MPSG events at AMS in Pittsburgh.  As usual, we'll hold two events: an evening panel, slated for Thursday night (8-10 pm), and a business meeting, slated for Friday around lunchtime (12:15-1:45 pm).

Please note that, because of ongoing construction at the hotel, rooms have been changed.  The evening session will take place in Sterlings 1, and the daytime session will take place in Le Bateau.

Other details are included below.

We expect these to be really fantastic events, and we hope to see you there!

Best wishes,

Steve Smith

MPSG Events at AMS 2013, Pittsburgh

Evening Event:

Thursday, November 7, 8:00-10:00 pm

Roundtable: Sound, Music, Affect

Location: Sterlings 1

Session Chair:

Tamara Levitz, Professor of Musicology, UCLA

Speakers and Titles:

Murray Dineen, Professor of Music Theory and Musicology, University of Ottawa

"The 'After' Affect: Musical Labor and Classical Music"

Charles Kronengold, Assistant Professor of Music, Stanford University

"Genres, Affects, Temporalities"

Roger Grant, Assistant Professor of Music Theory, University of Oregon

"After the Natural Sign: Affect Theory's End?"

Christina Baade, Associate Professor of Communications Studies and Music, McMaster University

"Sentimentality, Stickiness, and Circulation: 'We'll Meet Again' as an Emotional Object"

Andrew Berish, Associate Professor of Humanities and Cultural Studies, University of Southern Florida

"Sentimental Journeys: Tin Pan Alley Ballads, Affect, and American Emotional Life during the Second World War"

Business Meeting: Friday, November 8, 12:15-1:45

Continuing Roundtable: Sound, Music, Affect

Location: Le Bateau

Presenters:

Andrew Burgard, NYU

"Affective Dynamics of Choral Singing and the Musical Mediation of Cultural Belonging"

David McCarthy, CUNY Graduate Center

"'Oirse: o irse. ¿Adónde?'": Affect in Octavio Paz’s 'Recapitulations' (1967), Melancholy in Close-Up (1990), and the Politics of Experience

Clara Latham, NYU

"Towards a Psychoanalytic Model of Sonic Affect: Listening as Transference"

Christopher Culp, SUNY Buffalo

"No-Place like Home: Queer Utopias and the Affective Break into Song"

--
Stephen Decatur Smith
Assistant Professor of Music History and Theory