MPSG Events in New Orleans

Stephen Smith

Oct 31, 2012, 11:03:09 PM10/31/12
to ams music and philosophy study group

Hi everyone,

I hope that all of you who live in areas affected by the storm is safe.  That was a monster.

For those who have been able to make it to AMS/SMT/SEM, I write with a quick reminder about music and philosophy events at this year’s AMS.

First, on Thursday, Nov. 1, 8:00 pm-11:00 pm, in Astor Ballroom III, there will be our evening panel: What is the Contemporary Relationship of Philosophy and Music Studies?  Panelists will include Brian Kane (Yale), Tamara Levitz (UCLA), Fred Maus (University of Virginia), and Gavin Steingo (University of Pittsburgh).  Ana Maria Ochoa and Lawrence Kramer had been slated to speak as well, but have sadly been unable to make it to the conference in time, as a result of the recent storm.

Second, on Friday, Nov. 2, 12:00 pm-2:00 pm, in Sheraton Grand Ballroom A, we’ll have our business meeting.  There, we’ll continue the discussion from the previous night with presentations from Daniel Villegas (UPenn) and Benjamin Court (UCLA).  Delia Casadei (UPenn) was scheduled to speak as well, but was unable to make it because of Sandy.  In this meeting, we’ll be focusing especially on what sorts of events everyone would like to see in the future.  Please do come and offer your opinions!

Again, I hope that everyone is safe after this tremendous storm, and best wishes, as always,

Steve Smith

--
Stephen Decatur Smith
Assistant Professor of Music History and Theory