CFP: Archives, AMS Denver 2023

kylec...@gmail.com

Feb 28, 2023, 11:31:04 AM2/28/23
to AMS Music and Philosophy Study Group
Dear all,

We are please to share with you the following CFP for the MPSG panel at AMS 2023 which will address the topic of Archives.

Please share this with any and all who might be interested, or consider submitting something yourself! Furthermore, keep an eye out for further updates about new initiatives and events that the board is hoping to launch before our next in-person meeting in November.

More soon,
Kyle

Archives
AMS 2023 Denver

Archives and archival work hold a contested position within music studies,
especially given recent attempts to redress the forms of exclusion that
have traditionally structured the field’s intellectual commitments. As much
as they have functioned as the guarantors of scholarly legitimacy and
objectivity, archives present a fruitful site to reflect on the larger
historiographic, epistemological, and political aporias that accompany
their existence. To this end, a growing body of literature has theorized
“the archive” to better account for the ways that minoritized lives and
practices have been obscured, rendered unruly, or simply forgotten within
hegemonic narratives. Scholars such as Saidiya Hartman, Diana Taylor, Ann
Laura Stoler, Ann Cvetkovich, and Robin Gray have thus articulated new
critical perspectives on and from within the archive that productively sit
alongside previous accounts from the likes of Michel Foucault and Jacques
Derrida.

The Music and Philosophy Study Group seeks to continue these efforts and
invites proposals for projects that conceptualize, critique, or generally
reflect on archives or archival theory. Given the multiple “archival turns”
that have been staged across the humanities, we encourage submissions from
any critical tradition and welcome contributions that engage both the
theory and praxis involved in archival work. We ask that proposals be no
more than 250 words and indicate the intended form of the presentation, as
we are amenable to projects outside of the standard 15-minute paper.

Possible Topics include:

-Acts of reclamation, rematriation, repatriation
-Critical fabulation and speculative approaches
-Materialist perspectives and theories of conservation
-Archives related to theory and philosophy
-Colonial, corporate, and/or institutional archives
-Politics and/or economics of archival labor
-Archives as community engagement
-Psychoanalytic approaches to loss, damage, and impermanence
-Historical conceptions of archives
-Philosophy of memory
-Digitization and its ethics

Submission details: Proposals (of less that 250 words) are due by 10 March
2023, 11:59pm PST. Please upload proposals through our submission form
which is accessible here or the Study Group website.

Any and all further inquiries can be sent to mpsgsubmissions -at- gmail.com.