Music and Philosophy Study Group Events in Milwaukee

Amy Cimini

Nov 3, 2014, 1:53:13 AM11/3/14
to ams-music-...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

I hope you're all well. The AMS Music and Philosophy Study Group and the SMT Music and Philosophy Interest Group are proud to present two upcoming events at our upcoming meeting in Milwaukee. Both events are on the theme "New Ontologies."

We expect these to be really fantastic events. Our evening panel in slated for Thursday night (8-10 pm) and the joint business meeting  slated for Friday evening (5-7 pm).

Other details are included below. Please note that, for the business meeting, our presenters are pre-circulating their papers. Please find the papers attached to this message.

We hope to see you all in Milwaukee!

All best wishes,

Amy Cimini

Evening Session
Thursday, November 6, 8-11 PM
Location: Wisconsin Center: Room 102 E

Session Chair:

Naomi Waltham-Smith (University of Pennsylvania)

Speakers and Titles:

Olivia Bloechl (UCLA)
"Aural Vulnerableness as Ethical Ontology"

Daniel Villegas Vélez (University of Pennsylvania)
"The Matter of Hearing: Diderot, d'Alembert, Le Cat, and the Multinaturalist Rationality of 18th Century Sound"

Christopher Haworth (University of Calgary)
"Sound Synthesis Procedures as ‘Texts’: A New Virtuosity in Computer Music"

Robin James (UNC Charlotte, Philosophy)
"Music and the Ambivalent Politics of Feminist New Materialism"

Jonathan De Souza (University of Western Ontario)
 "On Musical Objects"

Joint Business Meeting of the AMS and SMT Philosophy Groups
Friday, November 7, 5-7 PM
Location: Hilton, Mitchell Room

Presenters

Nina Penner (McGill)
"Musical Work as Both Products and Processes”

August Sheehy (University of Chicago)
“What is a Music Analyst?”

James Bennett (UW Madison)
“Badiou, Music and Music Theory”

Jacob Walls (University of Oregon)
“Is There a Way to Invoke the Music Itself Without Embarrassing Ourselves?”
--
Amy Cimini, Ph.D.
------

Walls_New_Ontologies.docx