Fwd: Call for papers for dance-focused issue of Americas: A Hemispheric Music Journal

Stephen Hudson

Apr 4, 2022, 1:14:37 AM4/4/22
to ams-mus...@googlegroups.com
Dear AMS Music and Dance Study Group colleagues,

Christi Jay Wells has asked me to share the call for papers for an exciting special issue of Americas: A Hemispheric Music Journal which they are editing. I hope you consider submitting your work!

Best,
—Stephen

----------

Link: https://www.colorado.edu/amrc/2022/03/08/cfp-americas-hemispheric-music-journal-themed-issue-dance-bodies-and-embodied-listening

Full text:

CALL FOR PAPERS
Americas: A Hemispheric Music Journal | Themed Issue on DANCE, BODIES, AND EMBODIED LISTENING
Editor-in-Chief: Susan Thomas
Issue Editor: Christi Jay Wells

Submission deadline: Friday, July 1, 2022

As music studies seeks to move beyond not only a Eurocentric focus in its canons but also its foundational Eurocentric epistemologies, we must confront the Cartesian separation of mind from body that has long driven conceptualizations of ideal listeners as “purely” cerebral beings. While anti-corporeal performances of self-erasure are constitutive elements of Western concert culture’s idiosyncratic listening rituals, there are many more contexts and cultures where listening is understood as an embodied practice and where the body in motion is regarded as a body engaged in active, expressive, rigorous listening, including (but not limited) to the act of dancing. As such, broader consideration of music practices as embodied practices, informed by engagement with the rich discourses in the field of dance studies, can create space for more musical practices across cultures to be understood on their own terms.

This year, Americas: A Hemispheric Music Journal invites article submissions for a themed issue seeking to advance dialogue between music and dance studies by addressing issues including embodiment, participation, policing, prestige, listening, sociality, and communication. We hope this dialogue will span a broad range of time periods, cultures, and practices. We invite authors from music studies and dance studies as well as from across the Humanities, who aim to expand research and scholarship in this area to consider topics such as:

  •       Dancing and/as listening
  •       Dance as music, music as dance
  •       Embodied practice in music-making spaces
  •       Choreopolicing and constraints upon dancing and/or musicking bodies
  •       Bodies moving within (and against) raced and gendered power structures
  •       Modes of exchange between dancers and musicians
  •       Practices of embodied resistance and/or tools for discipline and compliance
  •       Spaces and practices of intercorporeality
  •       The prestige politics of dance’s presence or absence in musical traditions

Articles of 6,000-8,000 words in length can be sent to amer...@colorado.edu. Submissions should include text, all necessary figures, a 100-200 word abstract, and a short professional bio. In addition, authors may also submit shorter essays of 2,000-3,000 words as part of the journal’s “Listening In” feature. "Listening In" offers a more immediate exploration of musical scenes and the spaces and places that music is made, offering authors and readers an opportunity to explore performances, protests, and local soundscapes through a closer lens than traditional formats often allow. We also solicit contributions to our "Dialogues" section, which features interviews with composers, musicians, and others in the musical field whose direct perspective will be of interest to readers. We encourage the submission of edited interview transcripts of 1,500-2,000 words (including a short introduction). While it is encouraged that the interviews fit with the issue theme, it is not required that they do so. Both “Listening In” and “Dialogues” submissions should also include any supplemental figures, a 100-200 word abstract, and a short professional bio.

About: Americas: A Hemispheric Journal is a peer-reviewed journal published by the University of Nebraska Press. Americas presents a broad view of American music, one that encompasses the diverse soundscapes within the United States as well as the wider Americas, including the Caribbean. Each annual issue focuses on one central theme. Recurring special sections highlight the spaces and places where music is made and the people who compose, perform, and otherwise support that music.

Submission guidelines: Authors should use endnotes, not footnotes or parenthetical reference; and conform styles to the Chicago Manual of Style. Authors whose articles are accepted will be asked to provide camera-ready, publication-quality musical examples. High resolution images are requested. Authors are responsible for obtaining and providing necessary copyright permissions. Inquiries about this issue or general inquiries about the journal should be sent to Issue Editor Christi Jay Wells at chris....@asu.edu or Editor-in-Chief Susan Thomas at susan.t...@colorado.edu.

Christi Jay Wells, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Musicology
School of Music, Dance and Theatre—Herberger Institute for Design and the Arts
Affiliate Faculty—Center for the Study of Race and Democracy
Arizona State University
Pronouns: They/Them/Theirs