Latest Amrita on FC16 and Perl 5.14

Brian

Jan 3, 2012, 1:14:07 PM1/3/12
to amrita-ebook
To all, I have recently attempted an install of AMRITAv3.05
R19-11-2011 on the latest Fedora (FC16). The version of perl is now
5.14.2 and it seems instances of the qw(...) command in the source
code is now deprecated. The correction is to add brackets around the
command such that:

New Syntax:
(qw(...))

where the old syntax is just:
qw(...)

note that "..." represents code within the qw brackets and does not
actually appear in the code as "..."

Unfortunately there are a few hundred of these occurrences within the
AMRITA source code...

Brian

James Quirk

Jan 4, 2012, 11:45:55 AM1/4/12
to Brian, amrita-ebook
Brian,

On Tue, 3 Jan 2012, Brian wrote:

> To all, I have recently attempted an install of AMRITAv3.05
> R19-11-2011 on the latest Fedora (FC16). The version of perl is now

AMRITAv3.05_R19-11-2011 was a kit I put together for Roger, it was
not intended for general use.

> 5.14.2 and it seems instances of the qw(...) command in the source
> code is now deprecated. The correction is to add brackets around the
> command such that:
>
> New Syntax:
> (qw(...))
>
> where the old syntax is just:
> qw(...)
>
> note that "..." represents code within the qw brackets and does not
> actually appear in the code as "..."
>
> Unfortunately there are a few hundred of these occurrences within the
> AMRITA source code...

The situation is not quite as bad as you fear, for the qw deprecation
only affects those cases where the word list is passed to a function,
which is around 20 instances. Also note that the depcration warning
is just that and the perl code still works, for now. Therefore
all you need do is to suppress the warnings, until I get around
to changing AMRITA's source.

To do this, edit the file:

$AMRITA/Amrita/Amrita/Perl.pm

and before the line: