A better text editor for AMPL models

2324 views
Skip to first unread message

harr...@email.uc.edu

unread,
Feb 12, 2006, 3:55:22 PM2/12/06
to AMPL Modeling Language
Can anyone suggest a better text editor suitable for the needs of
writing large AMPL files? I would like something that highlights
alternate lines in a different color, and that displays line numbers.
It sure would make debugging easier if I did not have to manually count
line numbers.

Packfan

unread,
Feb 12, 2006, 10:48:18 PM2/12/06
to AMPL Modeling Language
Did you try Textpad with AMPL syntax highlighting? You can get the
syntax highlighting file from http://www.textpad.com/add-ons/syna2g.html

maite trujillo san martin

unread,
Feb 12, 2006, 11:11:38 PM2/12/06
to am...@googlegroups.com


I would recommend AMPL Studio.

Presentation: http://carisma.brunel.ac.uk/presentation/Banff_AMPL.pdf  (Page 24, etc.)

More info: www.optirisk.co.uk/docs/manual/ampl.pdf 


 


From:  harr...@email.uc.edu
Reply-To:  am...@googlegroups.com
To:  "AMPL Modeling Language" <am...@googlegroups.com>
Subject:  [AMPL 208] A better text editor for AMPL models
Date:  Sun, 12 Feb 2006 12:55:22 -0800

Ronald Hochreiter

unread,
Feb 13, 2006, 2:46:29 AM2/13/06
to am...@googlegroups.com
And if you don't have any money to spend on commercial software, that
has been proposed for solving your problem within replies 210 and 211,
I'd really recommend downloading the best text-editor ever, which has
AMPL syntax highlighting built-in - even in it's standard distribution:

http://www.vim.org/

Regards,
Ronald

jus...@zeusedit.com

unread,
Feb 13, 2006, 5:55:32 PM2/13/06
to AMPL Modeling Language
> Can anyone suggest a better text editor suitable for the
> needs of writing large AMPL files?

Have you tried Zeus for Windows:

http://www.zeusedit.com/features.html
Note: Zeus is shareware (45 day trial).

> I would like something that highlights alternate lines in
> a different color, and that displays line numbers.

Unfortunately Zeus does not have an option to color alternate
lines in a different color, but it does have a line numbers
option and the syntax highlighting is easily configurable:

http://www.zeusedit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=236

> It sure would make debugging easier if I did not have to
> manually count line numbers.

Zeus does have an option where by the number of lines
selected is displayed in the status line. So you could use
this feature to do the line counting ;)

Jussi Jumppanen
Author: Zeus for Windows

Rafael Avalos

unread,
Feb 13, 2006, 7:51:18 PM2/13/06
to am...@googlegroups.com
AmplStudio is definitely the best choice, however is a trial version just for 30 days, limited to 300 variables. I wonder how much the licence cost...It's good...

Notepad++ is a free GNU public licence...it's very good, it doesn't have the actual AMPL intruction highlighting, but you can custumize the words you want to be highlighted. If you choose the Python as a language environment and then edit the default color setting for this one, you can get a nice AMPL interface, it also offers tap windows, so can have many xxxx.mod and xxxx.dat files open at the same time.

http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/site.htm

Jose Rafael Avalos Muñoz,  Ph.D Student
Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering
Power and Energy Systems Group
University of Waterloo.            Ontario, Canada
Office: CPH 3373 Tel (519) 888-4567 ext: 8036
jrav...@thunderbox.uwaterloo.ca

Dominique

unread,
Feb 22, 2006, 10:26:50 AM2/22/06
to AMPL Modeling Language
I wrote a syntax highlighting mode for Vim which looks different from
the default one. Take a look at
www.mgi.polymtl.ca/dominique.orban/ampl-modes.html

Moreover, in Vim, you can get line numbers displayed in any buffer
using the command
:set number
and you can remove them using
:set nonumber

I also wrote a syntax highlighting mode for Emacs.

If you would like anything fancier in Vim or Emacs, the manuals are
excellent.

Dominique

Steven Harrod

unread,
Apr 13, 2007, 12:44:56 PM4/13/07
to am...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

It is a year later, and I decided to look at AmplStudio, but the website is empty! What happened, they go out of business?

--
Steven Harrod
Lexington, KY
859 225 1572

Steven Harrod

unread,
Apr 13, 2007, 12:58:14 PM4/13/07
to am...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Thanks. Yes, I only got around to this a year later!

Huge difference in productivity and legibility. Should have started with
this 2 years ago!

Thanks, Steven

Packfan wrote on 2/12/2006, 10:48 PM:

>
> Did you try Textpad with AMPL syntax highlighting? You can get the
> syntax highlighting file from http://www.textpad.com/add-ons/syna2g.html
>

--

Hans Mittelmann

unread,
Apr 13, 2007, 2:47:47 PM4/13/07
to AMPL Modeling Language
Hi,
are you really saying you tried a one year old link and concluded they
must be going
out of business if the link has changed in the mean time?
Heard about Google?
HM

On Apr 13, 9:44 am, "Steven Harrod" <a2s...@aol.com> wrote:
> Hello,

> It is a year later, and I decided to look at AmplStudio, but the website is empty! What happened, they go out of business?Rafael Avalos wrote on 2/13/2006, 7:51 PM:
>
> AmplStudio is definitely the best choice, however is a trial version just for 30 days, limited to 300 variables. I wonder how much the licence cost...It's good...

> Notepad++ is a free GNU public licence...it's very good, it doesn't have the actual AMPL intruction highlighting, but you can custumize the words you want to be highlighted. If you choose the Python as a language environment and then edit the default color setting for this one, you can get a nice AMPL interface, it also offers tap windows, so can have many xxxx.mod and xxxx.dat files open at the same time.http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/site.htm


> At 05:55 PM 13/02/2006, you wrote:> Can anyone suggest a better text editor suitable for the
> > needs of writing large AMPL files?
> Have you tried Zeus for Windows:
> http://www.zeusedit.com/features.html
> Note: Zeus is shareware (45 day trial).
> > I would like something that highlights alternate lines in
> > a different color, and that displays line numbers.
> Unfortunately Zeus does not have an option to color alternate
> lines in a different color, but it does have a line numbers
> option and the syntax highlighting is easily configurable:
> http://www.zeusedit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=236
> > It sure would make debugging easier if I did not have to
> > manually count line numbers.
> Zeus does have an option where by the number of lines
> selected is displayed in the status line. So you could use
> this feature to do the line counting ;)
> Jussi Jumppanen
> Author: Zeus for Windows
>

> Jose Rafael Avalos Muñoz, Ph.D StudentDepartment of Electrical & Computer Engineering


> Power and Energy Systems Group
> University of Waterloo. Ontario, Canada

> Office: CPH 3373 Tel (519) 888-4567 ext: 8036jr...@thunderbox.uwaterloo.ca--

Steven Harrod

unread,
Apr 13, 2007, 3:45:50 PM4/13/07
to am...@googlegroups.com
Your comment is not appropriate. If you know of a new link, please share it.

--

Carl Laird

unread,
Apr 13, 2007, 3:51:18 PM4/13/07
to am...@googlegroups.com
Hi Steven,

amplstudio.com seems to be "under construction". However, I think you
can find information about AmplStudio from the optirisk site
(http://www.optirisk-systems.com/).

Personally, I still use old-school emacs to do the job, but the
screenshots look interesting. I may have to take a look.

Cheers,

Carl Laird.

Robert Fourer

unread,
Apr 13, 2007, 5:37:11 PM4/13/07
to am...@googlegroups.com, Carl Laird, Steven Harrod

AMPL Studio links can be found at www.ampl.com/whatsnew.html#AMPLstudio or
www.ampl.com/GUI. Following today's discussion at am...@googlegroups.com, I
have fixed a few links on these pages to make them more specific.

When I get a chance I'll see if I can collect suggestions for specialized AMPL
editors.

Bob Fourer
4...@ampl.com

Hans Mittelmann

unread,
Apr 13, 2007, 7:02:55 PM4/13/07
to AMPL Modeling Language
I found all the links the others point out by googleing.

> > 8036jrava...@thunderbox.uwaterloo.ca--

F. Javier Heredia

unread,
Apr 15, 2007, 11:49:44 AM4/15/07
to am...@googlegroups.com
Dear AMPL community,

I think the lack of a good "user friendly" environment for AMPL (as it
was the discontinued AMPL Plus) is, probably, the worst aspect of AMPL,
and a really trouble when you use it in classroom. As far as as I know,
AMPL Studio is the best option, though, after more than two years using
the free downloadable version, my impression is that it is not robust
enough (this is why I haven't bought still a license), and the user's
manual is incomplete. Nevertheless, I think you will find it interesting.

Javier

Robert Fourer escribió:
--
.............................................................
F. Javier Heredia :
Dept. d'Estadistica i :
Investigacio Operativa : e-mail : f.javier...@upc.edu
Univ. Politecnica de Catalunya : phone. : +34-93-401-73-35
Edifici C5-206, Campus Nord : FAX : +34-93-401-58-55
c. Jordi Girona 1-3 :
08034 Barcelona. Spain :
.............................................................


Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages