I didn't understand how Album Art works

Feb 24, 2018, 7:09:20 AM2/24/18
to Ampache
I relative new to Amapache and try out many things. Before i start, here is my current setup. All my music is located in a samba share on my router. Ampache runs on a Raspberry Pi, the webserver is nginx with php-fpm. The Samba share from the router is mounted as local direcctory. Nginx and Ampache have red/write access to this folder, including the music folder. I have now created a new catalog and i think all my MP3 files are included now. All MP3 files where tagged with the application MP3Tag and almost all have album art from type image/jpeg specified as frontcover. Only 5 files have no album art, since this are special files. If i use this files with other programs on the desktop, all album art is showing correctly. I have tried MP3Tag, Media Monkey, Musicbee and Windows Media player so far, all of them display the correct cover. But not so with Ampache. Some covers are displayed correctly but most of them have a standard cover with a questionmark. If i go to Catalogs > Add Cover, more covers where found and added to the albums, but not all. I can run this several times and more and more covers are added, but not all. But the worst thing is, that some covers are added, which are not saved as folder.jpg and also not as ID3 Tag. I don't know where this covers come from, then they are the wrong covers. The important config lines are the following:

getid3_tag_order = "id3v2,id3v1,vorbiscomment,quicktime,matroska,ape,asf,avi,mpeg,riff"
;getid3_detect_id3v2_encoding = "true"
write_id3
= "true"
write_id3_art
= "true"
metadata_order
= "getID3,filename"
deferred_ext_metadata
= "false"
enable_custom_metadata
= "true"
memory_limit
= 256
album_art_preferred_filename
= "folder.jpg"
album_art_store_disk
= "false"
album_art_max_width
= 512
album_art_max_height
= 512
resize_images
= "true"
playlist_art
= "true"
art_order
= "tags,folder,db,musicbrainz,lastfm,google"

Only local catalog module is active and all third party plugins are disabled. Most my covert art is embedded as ID3Tag. Only a some are saved as folder.jpg

How can i insert all my covert art, which are embedded as ID3Tag? And why thee added often images, that are nor embedded, nor saved as folder.jpg? I assume, they are downloaded from somewhere, but the questions is from where, why and what can i do that this does not happen?

Ahh and if all works, what do you think is better? Storing the covert art in the database or storing them to disk? As you see, currently they are saved to the database.

Feb 24, 2018, 8:43:35 AM2/24/18
to Ampache
I have found now some output in the logfile:

Image width not in range (min=0, max=512, current=798)

Could this be the reason, why the cover art isn't saved for the album? But i have additionally set
resize_images = "true"

I was of the opinion that if resize_images = "true", images that are too large will be resized and then used. Or am I wrong here? What can I do to use my pictures anyway?

Ernie D

Feb 24, 2018, 11:49:50 AM2/24/18
to amp...@googlegroups.com
From the code, it looks like "resize_images" is only for resizing thumbnails when they are displayed.

I have found now some output in the logfile:

> Image width not in range (min=0, max=512, current=798)

Limiting width and height is for managing disk/database storage space of the grabbed images.

Notice the "art_order switch in the config file: art_order = "db,tags,folder,musicbrainz,lastfm,google".

If you want to only use the tags in your music files, remove everything but "tags" and maybe "folder". If musicbrainz, lastfm and google are left on those are also automatically searched.

Also, I suggest the images stored in the tags be png, not jpeg  as the PHP module that process the images has a problem with jpeg because there are several sub-formats.

Also, if the size of the image is less than 5 pixels it is automatically rejected, as it cannot contain usable image.

73 From  AA1AD
Ernie D
Federal Way, WA | CN87ug