In Limon

Amigas del Señor

Jul 22, 2022, 8:19:25 PM7/22/22
to Amigas Google Group
From Sister Confianza

When I last wrote, I was waiting to hear if there would be transportation to take us to Limon on Tuesday, July 12.  We heard nothing, so I made other plans.  Early Tuesday morning I hiked over to Santos' house where we had a few belongings (a mattress and some dishes) from when Martin's family first came to work for us.  Coming back about 8:30, I heard voices and then saw the mayor's car, a double cab pickup.  They had come after all!  There was the driver and two other young men (one with a cast on one arm).  As far as they'd heard, they were just there to pick us up and take us to Limon, making sure Sister Alegria could get to the road.  Our plan, however, was to take a truckload of stuff that we use frequently.

The men were patient as I packed, and they carried the loads of boxes and sacks out to the truck.  I had planned to butcher one of the half-grown roosters that day.  Instead, we took all four pollos with us.  About a month earlier, at just two months old, several of the males began crowing in the mornings - prodigies! They were getting crowded in the mobile coop with the females, so I moved the male pollos into the big coop with the four adult hens.  The crowing stopped immediately and hasn't started again!  Just a couple days before we left, I'd also moved the female pollas into the big coop, so there are now 8 chickens there, four of which lay eggs almost daily.

As I pulled together the last things and made sure the cats and chickens had food for several days, Sister Alegria began a slow walk out to the road. I closed up the house and arrived at the waiting pickup just after she did.  At 11:30 am, the guys dropped us off at Amparo's house, and carried all our stuff (including the harvested pineapples) into the carport.  Though Amparo wasn't home at the moment, her son Franklin, who runs a cable and wifi business, welcomed us right in.  He confirmed by phone that we were to make ourselves comfortable in Celeste's room.  She recently moved to Tocoa to start her own business there.  See photo below.

So here we are in Limon, on the main street coming into town.  Sister Alegria gets to relax in the lovely (though warm) room (photo attached).  There is plenty of traffic noise and dust, but we are doing OK.  I'm keeping busy as usual.  Happily, Amparo has a washing machine, so that's less work. I'm going up to the monastery every 2-3 days to check on the animals, harvest pineapples and do other tasks.  On Tuesday (July 19) I went to Tocoa (no hiking to reach the direct bus!) to go to the bank and buy Sister Alegria's medicines for the month - over $500 worth!  I also visited Celeste in her new shop and thanked her for lending us her room in Limon.  She looks great.

Wednesday of last week I had an appointment with the mayor Juan Ramon and profe Sixto (retired principal of the high school who now works as the municipal director of environmental regulations).  Profe Sixto is also a member of the new board of Comunion H, the organization started by Sor Leonarda that owns the former orphanage building and land.  There is also a house on the property, formerly the residence of Gloria Lacayo, lab tech and friend of Sister Alegria.  In fact, before founding the monastery, Sister Alegria often lived with her for months at a time when she'd come to Limon and volunteer at the Centro de Salud. It's in a quiet neighborhood and has a nice big yard, so we thought it might be a good place to live.  The mayor's secretary helped me write a solicitud requesting permission to live there.

On Monday, Profe Sixto took us to the house to look it over.  He didn't have a key to get inside, but we could see in the windows.  Unfortunately, it is in bad shape.  The venetian windows are missing glass and screen, the paperboard walls are torn, and the septic tank has collapsed.  It would take a lot of work to get it into liveable condition.  We continue to look at other options, without tossing that one.  There is a house available for rent in Limoncito, but it's hard to get in touch with the owner who lives up in the mountains.  There may be other houses here in Limon, and it's quite possible that our friends and the mayor would pitch in to rehabilitate Gloria's old house.  Please continue to hold the situation in your prayers.  For now, we are content to be in town and taken care of.  Amparo's house has always been a second home for us in Limon.

Bendiciones,
Sister Confianza

IMG-20220719-WA0000.jpg
20220713_155741.jpg