Kittens

Amigas del Señor

Apr 13, 2022, 5:04:54 PM4/13/22
to Amigas Google Group

From Sister Alegria

Pinta didn’t want to eat on Monday.  She also spent some time in her box (cardboard box in the kitchen).  Remember that the kitchen is separate from the “house.”  Since I am allergic to cats, Pinta is not allowed in the house.  Sister Confianza felt well.  She put in a normal work day.  She just did what she felt like and at the end of the day noticed that it was a normal work day.  One of the nice things about allergies is that you can trust your tiredness.  You are no sicker (nor better) than you feel.  We are very grateful.  I am also feeling stronger.  Note: I’m typing on the computer, which I don’t very often do.

In the wee hours, Pinta cried at the window for Sister Confianza.  Now, most cats deliver their babies alone, but Pinta is accustomed to have Sister Confianza at her side and she now considers it her God-given Right.  When Sister heard a loud yowl, she finally got up.  She found that Pinta had already given birth to one kitten.  The box had attracted ants, so it was rejected.  Pinta gave birth in the sack of pine cones (used to help start fires).  That made everything more visible.  Sister accompanied Pinta through the rest of the process.  Pinta had looked really, really big, so I was surprised when she had only three kittens.

Remember how Jesus said that what you do in the dark will be seen in the light?  Well, cats are funny creatures.  A litter can include kittens with different fathers.  We’re sure that Pinta has a new lover because two of the kittens are black.  Always before, they were orange or like Pinta (grey striped, calico).  One kitten is orange.  So, we figure two fathers:  the usual and a black one.  We, of course, are the last to know.

Yesterday, Sister Confianza was pretty tired after several hours of midwife work in the night.  Today she seems back to normal.

Pinta got really, really lonesome when we gave away the last batch of kittens.  We have decided to keep one kitten this time to have greater peace in the household.  When she feels lonesome (in the night) she may hunt an especially fat mouse to give to Sister Confianza, who is expected to get up to admire the gift.  She also cries and scratches at the screens to get into the house.  Bother!  So we will save her one companion.

I guess I didn’t mention.  The kittens are adorable.  Perhaps that goes without saying. (see our Facebook page @amigashonduras for photos)

Kittens are fun.  We have a few people waiting for them to be big enough to give away.  (One of the waiters is 6 and has not yet sought permission, so we’ll see).

We lost one chicken about two weeks ago.  She was at the bottom of the pecking order and was always pecked.  She had a big sore on her neck.  So, when we went to Limòn for my iron infusion, Sister Confianza put her in the small chickenhouse.  Well, there was a weakness in one wall.  We assume it was a possum that got her.  We now have six hens and one rooster.  They are a very happy family.  We get 5 or 6 eggs a day.

We have some tree seedlings ready to put into the ground.  More about them later.

Blessings,

Sister Alegria