About Shape-from-Shading μ parameter

dingxin liu

May 14, 2024, 10:02:57 PMMay 14
to Ames Stereo Pipeline Support
Hello, Oleg;

Regarding the smoothing weight μ, I read in your tutorials that Lro nac varies from 0.08 to 0.16 to get good results. Still, according to the example processed about the image taken by the Kaguya Terrain Camera, with μ at 40,000, it feels like the μ value varies greatly. How to get a reasonable initial value for any image?

Thanks a lot;

Alexandrov, Oleg (ARC-TI)[KBR Wyle Services, LLC]

May 14, 2024, 10:16:39 PMMay 14
to dingxin liu, Ames Stereo Pipeline Support
The smoothing weight for SfS seems to depend a lot on the resolution, camera, and the range of pixel intensities, as each camera can normalize pixels differently. Likely a study could be done to empirically derive a formula, but I did not attempt one. The advice for now is to try a smoothing weight in multiples of 10, such as 0.01, 0.1, ..., 100, 1000, etc, then refine.

If you come up with some heuristics, I would be curious to know.

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of NASA.  Please take care when clicking links or opening attachments.  Use the "Report Message" button to report suspicious messages to the NASA SOC.