Stereo Pipeline building error

Baharul Islam

Dec 30, 2023, 12:17:16 PM12/30/23
to Ames Stereo Pipeline Support
Hello Everyone

I was trying to build ASP by following installation steps in https://stereopipeline.readthedocs.io/en/latest/building_asp.html. I could install  VisionWorkbench and afterwards i failed to install Stereo Pipeline. In stereo pipeline i am able to do CMAKE by linking VisionWorkbench but in next step when i am doing Make & Make install for Stereo Pipeline i got compilation error.
How to resolve Stereo Pipeline compilation error.
Stereo pipeline error.png

Oleg Alexandrov

Dec 30, 2023, 2:46:59 PM12/30/23
to Ames Stereo Pipeline Support
Recently Stereo Pipeline compilation broke because it needs to use some versions of some dependencies for which conda packages were not released yet. Sorry about that. We will fix it in a few months when the packages catch up and a new ASP release is made.

Is there any pressing reason as to why you need to build Stereo Pipeline? We have binaries available, including a new build each day, at https://github.com/NeoGeographyToolkit/StereoPipeline/releases.

Baharul Islam

Dec 31, 2023, 11:55:31 PM12/31/23
to Ames Stereo Pipeline Support
There is an executable in Binary "aster2asp". This executable specific to aster data. Here in this place i wanted to prepare similar executables for Cartosat data.
Since i have all ancillary/auxiliary, imagery and other associated information are in different format therefore, i have to modify source code to create new executables.

Oleg Alexandrov

Jan 1, 2024, 12:48:51 AMJan 1
to Baharul Islam, Ames Stereo Pipeline Support
I see. Note that Cartosat already has an RPC camera model. If you are trying to create a new camera model, say by supporting the exact linescan one, I must advise that this can be a lot of very careful work. It needs knowledge of cameras, coordinate transforms, and being able to understand in detail the math the vendor uses, our own conventions, and how these can be combined.

I will be happy to help as needed if you share details and keep me posted on progress. (For that, you can bypass the mailing list and write to me directly.)

Cartosat is a linescan sensor. The current approach that we take with that, is not like done in aster2asp, for which the camera directions were in a 2D table.

Instead, nowadays we use the CSM camera model, which needs a sequence of camera positions, a sequence of camera orientations, and some knowledge about how the camera model parameters such as focal length and sensor time are to be interpreted. The most similar code for that would be for the PleiadesHR camera, in https://github.com/NeoGeographyToolkit/StereoPipeline/blob/master/src/asp/Camera/LinescanPleiadesModel.cc.  Here's also the latest code we use with ASTER: https://github.com/NeoGeographyToolkit/StereoPipeline/blob/master/src/asp/Camera/LinescanASTERModel.cc#L107C3-L107C14. That one is harder to understand.

Feel free to reach out if you need more info.

As to building our code, you can try to build ASP 3.3.0, which is not that old. For that, need to follow the doc, but after checking out the VisionWorkbench and StereoPipeline code, do in each:
git checkout 3.3.0

Then, use the dependencies at conda/asp_deps_3.3.0_linux_env.yaml or the same for Mac.

In the past it happened that a conda package may go missing or something may have changed to cause conda conflicts. If that's the case, I can help.

Anyhow, let me know how it goes, and as before, be advised that this is quite some work.

Oleg