John Jay

Jon

Jul 25, 2008, 9:22:08 PM7/25/08
to American Heritage
Here is the full quotation from Jay that you'll see in James Hutson's
book of quotations.

"It appeared to me that the Trinity was a Fact fully revealed and
substantiated, but that the quo modo was incomprehensible by human
Ingenuity. According to sundry Creeds, the divine Being whom we
denominate the second Person in the Trinity had before all worlds been
so generated or begotten by the first Person in the Trinity, as to be
his coeval, coequal and coeternal Son. For proof of this I searched
the Scriptures diligently -- but without Success. I therefore consider
the Position of being at least of questionable Orthodoxy."

-- John Jay to Samuel Miller, February 18, 1822. Jay Papers, Columbia
University Library.

NVSv...@gmail.com

Aug 4, 2008, 2:12:39 PM8/4/08
to American Heritage
I've found your quotation, at least you could give the page number, :p

Well, I'm not really into John Jay, at least yet, so I'll hold my
peace on this one.