The Founders & Higher Law

Jon

Jul 23, 2008, 12:08:49 PM7/23/08
to American Heritage
Friends,

Check out this post I did on the Founders & Higher Law.

http://americancreation.blogspot.com/2008/07/founders-higher-law.html

Note: When they discussed a "higher law" to which all man made law
had to conform, they were not chiefly speaking of "the Bible," but
rather, "reason." At least, that's what my post argues.

"To him who believes in the Existence and Attributes physical and
moral of a God, there can be no obscurity or perplexity in defining
the Law of Nature to be his wise benign and all powerful Will,
discovered by Reason."

-- John Adams to Thomas Boylston Adams, March 19, 1794. Adams Papers
(microfilm), reel 377, Library of Congress. Seen in James H. Hutson's,
"The Founders on Religion," p. 132.

NVSv...@gmail.com

Jul 23, 2008, 12:35:03 PM7/23/08
to American Heritage
Hehe. You love to quote from John Adams.

I may check it out a little later, depending if time allows.