Benjamin Rush's acknowledgments of Deists against Christianity

nvsvictor

Jun 22, 2009, 9:45:18 AM6/22/09
to American Heritage
I came across this quote. It's found here: SELECTED WRITINGS OF
BENJAMIN RUSH, page 128.

The book is found online here:
http://www.archive.org/details/selectedwritings030242mbp

The .txt format is fast, but somewhat hard to read.
http://www.archive.org/stream/selectedwritings030242mbp/selectedwritings030242mbp_djvu.txt

This is relevant because Benjamin sees the Deists that Joe keeps
referring to, whom are trying to destroy Christianity.

----------------
To the arguments I have mentioned in favour of the use
of the Bible as a school book, I shall add a few reflections.

The present fashionable practice of rejecting the Bible from
our schools, I suspect has originated with the deists. They dis-
cover great ingenuity in this new mode of attacking Christianity.
If they proceed in it, they will do more in half a century, in
extirpating our religion, than Bolingbroke or Voltaire could
have effected in a thousand years. I am not writing to this class
of people. I despair of changing the opinions of any of them.
I wish only to alter the opinions and conduct of those lukewarm,
or superstitious Christians, who have been misled by the deists
upon this subject. On the ground of the good old custom, of
using the Bible as a school book, it becomes us to entrench our
religion. It is the last bulwark the deists have left it; for they
have
rendered instruction in the principles of Christianity by the pul-
pit and the press, so unfashionable, that little good for many years
seems to have been done by either of them.

nvsvictor

Jun 22, 2009, 9:45:59 AM6/22/09
to American Heritage
*Jon