Benjamin Rush

Jon

Jul 25, 2008, 9:14:30 PM7/25/08
to American Heritage
Here is a link to a past post of historical research on the matter.

Rush wrote the following in his autobiography:

"At Dr. Finley's School, I was more fully instructed in these
principles by means of the Westminster Catechism. I retained them but
without any affection for them 'till abut the year of 1780. I then
read for the first time Fletcher's controversy with the Calvinists in
favor of the Universality of the atonement. This prepared my mind to
admit the doctrine of Universal salvation, which was then preached in
our city by the Revd. Mr. Winchester. It embraced and reconciled my
ancient calvinistical, and newly adopted Armenian principles. From
that time I have never doubted upon the subject of the salvation of
all men. My conviction of the truth of this doctrine was derived from
reading the works of Stonehouse, Seigvolk, White,Chauncey, and
Winchester, and afterwards from an attentive perusal of the
Scriptures. I always admitted with each of these authors future
punishment, and of long, long duration."

http://jonrowe.blogspot.com/2006/02/john-adams-militant-unitarian-i-just.html

In that post I also featured an important quotation from John Jay. I
consider Jay one of the "orthodox Trinitarian Christians," but in the
quotation, he doubts the Trinity.

He writes in his February 18, 1822 letter to Samuel Miller: "For proof
of [the Trinity] I searched the Scriptures diligently -- but without
Success. I therefore consider this Position of being at least of
questionable Orthodoxy."

This illustrates the unitarian zeitgeist was so powerful among
America's Founders that it even caused the otherwise orthodox to flirt
with unitarianism.

NVSv...@gmail.com

Jul 26, 2008, 2:57:21 PM7/26/08
to American Heritage
Hmm, well interesting. You know, I sort of agree with John Jay, the
mention in the Bible (as far as I know) of the 3 Persons is "baptize
in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit"

I've started a new topic on this.