Speech by Gettelfinger on International Unionism

1 view

wthom...@aol.com

Jun 24, 2008, 2:34:07 PM6/24/08
to soldiersof...@googlegroups.com, american-a...@googlegroups.com

Everyone should read this speech. Gettelfinger comments on the AAM strike. The strikers heard that the International had contacted the Mexican union during the strike and were unable to reach an agreement on working together. This was unfortunate. But since the Mexican plants were first built, I have been pushing for the UAW to establish relations with the Mexican union. As President, I raised it within the AAM Council. I even visited the plant and met with the key Mexican official myself personally, but the International never took any action. It was a question of too little too late. It is important that they keep up the newly established relations with the Mexican union and not wait until four years from now when we are again in negotiations.
Further, there has been talk within the labor movement about whether to engage in discussion with the official Chinese unions. Many feel including the Change to Win Coalition that left the AFL-CIO a few years ago that despite the shortcomings that it would be beneficial to do so. I tend to agree with this viewpoint. The Chinese unions have been pushing successfully for better labor laws and higher wages. Also, China is the only place worldwide where Walmart is unionized.
Last comment: it seems clear that Gettelfinger is waiting to unorganized non-union plants in the U.S. until the Employee Free Choice Act is passed. What if it never passes? This is a huge mistake to sit on our hands waiting.
Wendy

Get the Moviefone Toolbar. Showtimes, theaters, movie news, & more!