SAA 2023 Invitation: The Current State of Archaeological Research Across Southeast Asia (Portland)

Alison Carter

Aug 18, 2022, 10:40:02 AM8/18/22
to AASEAA

Hi All
There will be another session organized by Scott Macrae (below). Please reach out to him if you are interested in presenting!
Best
Alison

Dear Colleagues,

I am happy to announce that there will be a fourth annual "The Current State of Archaeological Research Across Southeast Asia" session convened at the 88th annual Society for American Archaeology meeting in Portland. We have had a lot of support and encouragement to continue the session over the years and we are looking forward to another great symposium.

If you are interested in participating, please email me at sma...@trentu.ca. Also, please do not hesitate to circulate the abstract among colleagues who might be interested. As usual, we looking to represent the diversity of archaeological research across Southeast Asia. This has proven to be a great opportunity for both new and established scholars.

Below you will find the session title and abstract.

Best Regards,

Scott

THE CURRENT STATE OF ARCHAEOLOGICAL RESEARCH ACROSS SOUTHEAST ASIA

From Myanmar to the Philippines, Southeast Asia encompasses a deep history with a wide set of cultures. Over the last few decades, archaeological research in this area has experienced significant advancements in terms of theoretical approaches, methodological developments, and archaeological discoveries. New and continuing scholars and field projects have been substantially contributing to an evolving archaeological dataset. In an endeavor to present the rapidly changing state of archaeological discourse, a collection of scholars will discuss the progression and findings of research within their areas of interest. In this fashion, a diversity of topics will be presented from recent archaeological fieldwork throughout Southeast Asia. This will also assist in a continued effort to encourage a flourishing community of developing and established scholars.

Scott Macrae, Ph.D.

Post-Doctoral Scholar

Depatrment of Anthropology