Amelia Island Main Beach Ride Report, December 3, 2022

Susan Taylor

Dec 3, 2022, 12:29:16 PM12/3/22
to Amelia Island Cycling
What a perfect day for a bike ride!  Temps in the low '70s, hazy sunshine, humidity softening the air for the COVID-afflicted among us--ahhhh, deep, cleansing breaths--but enough about me.

Having made the executive decision to delay today's ride start to a more civilized 9:00am, I showed up at Main Beach to sign in 25 cyclists and pass the helmet to collect a pile of $108.00 Dollars for the Doggies--meaning that since we started our little fundraiser in October, 2016, we have donated a grand total of $7,919.53 to the Nassau Humane Society, our way of thanking them for hosting our regular rest stops at their Dog Park, and for all they do for lucky dogs and tired cyclists.  It's also a way we show we care about more than cycling--we care about our community, too.  Thanks again to all who have participated.

Now, back to why we delayed the start.  Today's JDRF Ride to Cure Diabetes launched at 7:30 this morning from the Amelia Island Plantation, with 500+ cyclists participating, the route including the north end of the island.  As I headed to Main Beach, an auxiliary police volunteer--FB Mayor Mike Lednovich himself, according to Mike S--was directing what little traffic was still entering the park, with a handful of lingering cyclists on the roads.

Sending our group on their merry way, I intended to enter the state park to record our head count with the "Iron Ranger," but the gate was closed!  As it remained unlocked, I took it upon myself to open the gate and prop it open to welcome state park visitors and happy cyclists.

Don and I are heading to Mexico on Tuesday for some mountain and gravel biking (Don's done it before), followed by muchas cervezas, so next Saturday's ride will be led by Virginia D.  Wish us buena suerte, and we'll see y'all the following week.

¡Viva Mexico!

Susita
IMG_9799.JPG
IMG_9801.JPG
IMG_9802.JPG
IMG_9804.JPG
Bicicleta.jpg

Joseph Pitchko

Dec 5, 2022, 7:36:26 AM12/5/22
to ameliaisl...@googlegroups.com
To, AllenG, SteveJ, and PeterB,

Thanks for changing Patti’s flat at the Dog Park. Seems the only place she gets flats is in the Sun @ The Dog Park. Nothing in the tire. Tube failed. Tire was inflated at 70psi, I’ll go to 65 next time.

Thanks again!

Joe P.

--
www.AmeliaIslandCycling.com