AIT Social Ride Report

Ann Duncan

Dec 7, 2022, 4:35:37 PM12/7/22
to ameliaisl...@googlegroups.com
The day started badly for some. Patti arrived having had an unwelcome encounter with a flying can of chickpeas. Bill arrived late, having to fix a flat from his pre-ride. But all those cares tend to melt away with sunshine and warmth and, indeed, the day just kept getting better and better.
We welcomed Donna home from extended leave in NY and a long drive south. Because this ride leader was a little too chatty at the start we had a shortened but meaningful safety brief and then departed for our ride only slightly late. The trail was in better shape than last week, much of the debris removed. We met some other riders along the way who were also practicing good trail etiquette by calling out as they passed us. A couple of our A1A crossings were even car-free. At Burney Park many folks lingered in the shade as the sun was bright and the sky cloud-free. And we had not one bit of wind.
One minor incident occurred as we made the final crossing on the way south. People up front slowed, making the right turn, as riders behind were trying to get across quickly. Ron’s front tire lightly hit John’s back tire causing Ron’s bike to hit the curb at the crossing. He reacted quickly and managed to stay on his feet. And his bike is fine too! Ron’s an experienced rider, fortunately, and all’s well that ends well. But it’s a good example of why it’s important to try to keep plenty of space between bikes.
We had a relaxing break at the Crady Fishing Pier, lingering in the pleasant-ness! The sound looked more like a small lake with a mirror finish. Several riders decided to ride some extra miles, heading a bit further south. John reported he was going home to get his fat tire to ride the low tide at the beach. Patti and Joe decided to head back home via the Greenway. It was just one of those days to linger outdoors.
A reminder to all about the chili cook off and rides this Sunday, starting from Ribault Club. Make your favorite chili recipe and enter it in the cook off. It’s always a fun event.
image0.jpeg