Amelia Island Main Beach Ride Report, July 20, 2024, Part One

Susan Taylor

Jul 20, 2024, 7:15:59 PM (7 days ago) Jul 20
to Amelia Island Cycling
Instead of "leading" today's ride, I had planned to drive to NE GA this morning for a family gathering, meaning 6-7 hours behind the wheel of Janis the SAGWagen. That's because along with several other regular Wednesday "social" riders, I was honored to accept the invitation of Pat K to attend Bob K's "Rendering of Military Honors" service at the Jacksonville National Cemetery, followed by a Celebration of Life at Cafe Karibo.  Meanwhile, Don T was heading to NC for his great-niece's engagement party.  Thanks to Rich W for stepping up to lead.

Instead, I decided to stay at home and join 13 registered riders for the NFBC-sanctioned Saturday morning Amelia Island Main Beach ride.

After a dramatic storm yesterday afternoon, the air had been washed clean and the skies clear, with drippy Spanish moss decorating the Ft Clinch canopy road.  Participating cyclists were also decorated, with Bob C fully Tour de France kitted out, Margaret and Dave K in semi-matching Alaska bike jerseys--Margaret's starring Alaska's wildflowers and a bald eagle; Dave's showing off Alaska's wildlife.  My personal bucket list just got longer.  Thanks go out to "Mags" for later reminding me to turn on my tail light.  Safety first!

There are all sorts of campaign yard signs all over the island, with local primary elections coming up on August 20.  Scattered among those signs have been several saying "Go Poe!" with the Rec Center's marquee informing us that Fernandina Beach skateboarder will be competing in the Paris Olympics on July 28.  Read all about it!

And thanks to Mike S for last week's email, recommending the Windy City Eats food truck at the downtown market,  Finishing up today's ride, I stopped by for a Mike Ditka Polish sausage hotdog.  Deeee-licious.  Chicago comes to Fernandina Beach.  https://www.windycityeats.dog

Thanks again to all who came out to ride with us today.

Susan T

IMG_3954.JPG
IMG_3967.JPG
IMG_3968.JPG