Keep Right and Communicate in Fort Clinch

jtomassetti

Jul 31, 2022, 5:34:24 AM7/31/22
to Amelia Island Cycling

Keep Right and Communicate in Fort Clinch

The posted speed limit throughout most of Fort Clinch is 25 mph; however, there are a few locations with lower speed limits.

As we cycle through Fort Clinch we should always assume that a huge RV is about to come around the corner slightly toward the center of the road at 25 mph (37 feet per second).

If we are cycling along at 20 mph (30 feet per second), there is not much reaction time.

We need to keep right – like 2 or 3 feet from the edge of the road.

We cannot always do that because runners, walkers, and slower cyclists may already be on the right side of the road.

Front Rider Responsibilities: If you are the front rider in the group, you need to be looking ahead for traffic, other park guests, and hazards. You need to call out the hazards,  you need to communicate to the others that you plan to slow.

Back Rider Responsibilities: if you are the back rider in the group, you need to be keeping track of traffic coming up behind the group. You need to communicate when cars are back and when cars are passing. If cars behind us are waiting to pass, when it is safe, let the group know, “Let the car pass” then the group should slow down and move more to the right. Car drivers will be more patient and courteous when they see us being courteous. (For legal reasons, refrain from waving cars to pass us. If you wave at them to pass and an accident occurs, you could be at fault)

Passing Other Cyclists Like Us: When you are passing other road bikes or mountain bikes and the rider is wearing a cycling kit, call out “On your left”. Do it every time. Do not be embarrassed to call it out.

Passing Other Park Guests: Most people do not understand, “On your left”.  When we yell it out to them, it just freaks them out. Instead (after you slow down) politely ring your bell, or greet them with a friendly “good morning” or “hello”.

Passing Children:  Always assume children will do something totally random such as turning left directly in front of you.  Always slow down when passing children.

Florida laws require vehicles to pass cyclists and pedestrians with 3 feet or more clearance. Bicycles are considered to be vehicles by law in Florida. Thus by law, we are not allowed to pass walkers or other cyclists with less than 3 feet on any road in Florida.

In Fort Clinch, passing another park guest with 3 feet clearance will put you in the middle of the road.  Remember that huge RV is just waiting around the corner for you to stray into the middle of the road.

If it is not a safe location to pass the other park guests, it is the responsibility of the front rider to slow the group down until it is safe to pass.

It seems like riding with the bicycles spread out would lead to fewer accidents, but it may not. Spreading out 30 riders in Fort Clinch will increase the number of times cars and bicycles need to pass each other there so there are more chances of car-bicycle incidents.

The main problem with groups and pacelines is a lack of communication and the feeling that we need to keep the speed up at all costs. Please communicate about safety more in groups and slow down when passing others.

In Fort Clinch:

  • Communicate - Communicate - Communicate
  • Be overly kind and friendly to all other park guests.
  • Slow down when encountering other park guests.
  • Pass only when it is safe to do so with 3 feet or more clearance.
  • When it is safe to allow cars to pass, slow down, and move to the right when cars are waiting behind us.
  • Obey the stop signs and speed limits.
  • If available, use front and back lights when riding in the park.
  • Get off the right of way when not moving. (For example at the park exit or when making repairs)

Outside of Fort Clinch:

  • Keep right and avoid passing when going up those hills such as 18th Street and Wolf Street. If you know, you are very slow going uphill and may block others, drift to the back of the group before the hill and go up last.

 Thanks,  Jonathan

R Grear Kimmel

Jul 31, 2022, 10:57:11 AM7/31/22
to ameliaisl...@googlegroups.com
Jonathan,

Your periodic reviews and reminders of best cycling practices—addressing both safety and public relations—are always level-headed, thorough, and very well stated.  Thank you for this edition re: Fort Clinch.

I always observe all the things you call to our attention....  Well, I usually remember to do the things you suggest...  Well, I can and will try to do better.  I appreciate these messages.

Sincerely,

Grear

Susan Taylor

Jul 31, 2022, 8:56:55 PM7/31/22
to ameliaisl...@googlegroups.com
Wise words, Jonathan.  Thank you.

None of us are pro cyclists, competing in Le Tour de France Hommes or Femmes.  Let's slow down and enjoy the scenery when we can; otherwise, our delightful group rides will continue to fall apart.

Love y'all.

Susan T

--
www.AmeliaIslandCycling.com