Agenda for March 2022 JDEI Meeting

Dawne Piers-Gamble

Mar 28, 2022, 11:46:26 AM3/28/22
to AMC WMA JDEI

March 2022  JDEI  Agenda

Welcome, intros and Sign of Spring that makes you hopeful

  • Thanks to Bill for getting the March assignment out to Excom and doing a great job with facilitation. Comments? (Bill)

  • Need to plan a May topic for ExCom?

  • Update on Speakers:  Thanks to Rick for his earnest description of Dorceta Taylor’s book and its impact on him to encourage AMC to invite Dorceta Taylor to present in May. AMC is interested in helping pay and promote but needs more time. Fortunately, I communicated with Dorceta and she has agreed to speak in mid to late October.

  • Making Speaker Series part of Vol Reps making it a larger community these were the concerns raised by AMC:(Dawne)

Calling it a DEI speaker series is problematic in that this is a coded message for ‘these people are different from the norm’. another way to look at it is that the speakers might be asking, ‘why are we calling it DEI if this is my life?’.

With that in mind, can we better articulate why we are inviting these speakers? What is our purpose?

Once we know that we should also agree on some parameters for screening and choosing speakers that meet that purpose. How does their topic align with our purpose for creating the series? How does their topic align with AMC’s goals and mission? It would be good to have a rubric or a checklist that we can all use.

How can we work together to pay for the speakers in 2022?

          *Krystal Williams, Esq. is an AT thru hiker (NoBo '11), and  DEIB strategist, on

            Tuesday, April  26th at 7pm.  Topic: Hiking while Black: The Good, the Bad, & the

             Weird.

*Mary MacDonald is co-founder of Rest Stop Ranch, Rest-Stop-Ranch.org on Tuesday, June 7th at 7PM. Topic: Creating outdoor opportunities for people with disabilities and  their caregivers.

*Marinel M. de Jesus, Esq. founder of Brown Gal Trekker/Equity Global Treks

& The Porter Voice Collective on Thursday, September 29th, 7:00pm Topic Worldwide Outdoor Adventure and Equity

  In the works for October: *Dorceta E. Taylor, Professor, Yale School of the Environment

             Senior Associate Dean of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, author of The Rise of

                          the Conservation Movement:  Power, Privilege, and Environmental Protection

                          To discuss her research and opportunities for change going forward.

  • Promotion of BIPOC Educators Outdoors program Thursday, June 9, 2022 10:00 AM - Sunday, June 12, 2022 2:00 PM at Noble View Outdoor Center with The Collaborative for Education Services. (CES)The goal is to establish a local partnership with WMA AMC and CES leading to outdoor programming in WMA underserved communities.

  • Reached out to Heather Bruegl to work on an action plan for work with Indigenous people in Western MA, She is no longer with the Forge Project, but is working as an independent consultant. She is willing to do something with us at the Women’s Weekend at Noble View.

  • Followed up on and email sent by Heather Wyman to Rhonda Anderson, Iñupiaq-Athabaskan, Western Massachusetts Commissioner on Indian Affairs

  • In process of developing a partnership between Holyoke Heritage Park staff to plan Family, Wellness programming and Health Care Worker lunchtime mindfulness walks

  • In process of setting up a collaboration between Armbrook Village (assisted living and Compass Memory Care Program), in Westfield and hilltown COAs to have monthly gatherings at Noble View for elders.

  • Planning Women’s Weekend at Noble View on June 4. A number of WMA Chapter women leaders have already committed to lead events. Our next planning meeting is April 4 21 at 7pm, contact Dawne for Zoom link.

We have $1000 set aside for DEI inclusion events. Could we use it for the Holyoke Heritage Park Collaboration and Spring Fest, women’s weekend?

Update DEI Education Committee and Stephen Conlin ask of DEI VOL Reps (Bill)

Discuss WMA Chapter $ support to what initiatives? Primary Source, https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1PkZY_wTGScClrqyiZZKVR1y5-96VVZIl

https://appalachianmountainclub.sharepoint.com/sites/Volunteers/Shared%20Documents/Forms/AllItems.aspx?id=%2Fsites%2FVolunteers%2FShared%20Documents%2FDiversity%2C%20Equity%2C%20%26%20Inclusion%20%28DEI%29%2FDEI%20Volunteer%20Representatives%20Group%2FPrimary%20Source%20Spronsorship%20Proposal%2Epdf&parent=%2Fsites%2FVolunteers%2FShared%20Documents%2FDiversity%2C%20Equity%2C%20%26%20Inclusion%20%28DEI%29%2FDEI%20Volunteer%20Representatives%20Group&p=true