WMA JDEI Meeting tonight

Dawne Piers-Gamble

Apr 24, 2023, 6:17:21 AM4/24/23
to AMC WMA JDEI
Dawne Piers-Gamble is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: AMC WMA JDEI Monthly Meeting
Time: Apr 24, 2023 06:30 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
        Every month on the Fourth Mon, until Jul 24, 2023, 4 occurrence(s)
        Apr 24, 2023 06:30 PM
        May 22, 2023 06:30 PM
        Jun 26, 2023 06:30 PM
        Jul 24, 2023 06:30 PM
Monthly: https://us05web.zoom.us/meeting/tZIscOCopj0uGNzx5EaA-EEvWyotJiRUwBEe/ics?icsToken=98tyKuGurzwjGtyTtBuPRpwABY_CXfTxiCFbjY1HhErAAgEeRybgAftNJph2Iu3H

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us05web.zoom.us/j/86179086428?pwd=Vkc1ZXd3SzkvN1VaYTdiV0RmYlQ2dz09

Meeting ID: 861 7908 6428
Passcode: 8py3Fa

What we have been working on:

There are several changes and Initiatives that the DEI VOL REPS are working on.

We wanted to share these as possible additions to the trip talk cards: attached inclusive bio-break guidance Community Agreement for engagement (based on the Code of Conduct). This was something that was requested earlier this year from a few chapters. Inclusive Bio Break Guidance.

Community Agreements

  1. Uphold Community with Mutual Respect, Integrity and Dignity

  2. Prioritize Personal and Group Physical and Emotional Safety

  3. Respect the Outdoors

  4. Remain Free from Conflict of Interests

  5. Represent AMC and its Mission in a Positive, Professional, Respectful Manner

The Second Part is Norms for Collaboration, which would be a great agreement to make as part of all of our Meetings:

Norms for Collaboration,

1. We acknowledge one another as equals

2. We listen deeply and try to stay curious about each other

3. We slow down so we have time to think and reflect

4. We are willing to be uncomfortable & expect it to be messy at times

5. We recognize the difference between intent and impact

6. We use “ouch” and are willing to speak in the “first draft”

7. We recognize that we need each other's help to become better listeners

At our February DEI Vol Reps meeting, several DEI volunteers expressed concerns over the reporting and management of Code of Conduct violations small and large. It was suggested that we submit our concerns via the Code of Conduct email so that all the members of AMC’s Human Resources, Risk Management, and Volunteer Relations departments would be alerted.The following is what was submitted to AMC by a sub committee of the Vol Reps.

This is Concerns and Suggestions related to the Code of Conduct

Code of Conduct training video for quick access https://vimeo.com/812582526/27a90c15b8

Thanks to all of you who joined the Nolumbeka Project’s Indigenous Voices Presentation. Here is a link to our vimeo DEI page, where we are uploading this year’s speaker series talks for easy sharing:

https://vimeo.com/showcase/10293753

The presentations can also be found on our WMA DEI Page on the WMA website.

Thank you for  joining Advancing Racial Equity in Outdoor Institutions with Mardi FullerAdvancing Racial Equity in Outdoor Institutions https://vimeo.com/819519905?share=

Copy

The presentations with additional resources can also be found on our WMA DEI Page on the WMA website.

Keep an eye out on May 25th we will have The Venture Out Project speaking. It will be posted on ACT DB as soon as I get a photo of Kenjah. Registration link for Venture Out

We have restructured the DEI Vol  Reps to include DEI Chapter reps and AMC staff involved with DEI in the hopes of streamlining initiatives, so as to be more action oriented. I am now sharing the responsibility of chairing this committee with Ladda Kosaketh from the Worcester Chapter. Here are the edits to this group’s charter now that we are including a broader AMC community (staff, board, and volunteers) to the invites: Let me know if you would like to join a meeting.

We are also working to develop a new role description of the role of the DEI chair for each chapter and would appreciate any suggestions or comments.

DEI Representatives Charter REVISION and DRAFT.docx

Our Partnership with All Out Adventures has begun in earnest, Participated in their Plunge for Adventure on April Fool’s Day, the goal was to reach $18,000. Happily close to $30,000 was raised making it possible for people with access needs to borrow adaptive equipment for cycling, paddling and hiking. They will be running a training in June for staff and will welcome representatives from each of our AMC WMA committees to join that training. Please let me know if you are interested or know someone else who might be.

 I would also like to promote support from our AMC WMA Chapter for Bill S.446 (Mass. Senate) and H.769 (Mass. House) "An Act Expanding Access To Trails For People Of All Abilities. Learn more about the bill here.  (AMC has already been working on this bill.)  Unpaved Trails for All is recommending group and individual letter writing to our local Senators and Representatives.

We were able to get the local Conservation Commission permitting for the ALL Access Trail at Noble View Outdoor Center. Work on the trail has begun!
Let me know if you have additional information you would like to share tonight.