AMC DEI Speaker Series Event

1 view

Dawne Piers-Gamble

Apr 8, 2023, 6:21:14 AM4/8/23
to AMC WMA JDEI

Please join us for:

Advancing Racial Equity in Outdoor Institutions, An AMC DEI Speaker Series Webinar with Mardi Fuller.

7:00 PM - 8:30 PM Wednesday, April 19, 2023

Why, and how have People of Color been excluded from full participation in nature spaces and outdoor sports? Join the AMC DEI Speaker Series in welcoming Mardi Fuller, a lifelong backcountry adventurer, who in January 2021 , became the first known Black person to hike all 48 of New Hampshire's high peaks in winter. Mardi will take us on a brief, but deep dive into understanding white supremacy and how it normalizes its own experiences, history, narratives and environmental ideology and keeps those operating out of its framework (and that can people of any race) from seeing beyond it. Mardi will speak on her life of adventures as a Black outdoorswoman who has grown in her liberation-focused identity. We'll discuss barriers marginalized people face in accessing the outdoors and how their exclusion is detrimental to all people. We'll end by discussing solutions and how each of us can play a role in increasing equitable access to nature and outdoor activities.

https://outdoorsorg.webex.com/weblink/register/r3849de9df6ea96b3792be1335a88804b